Are these fish plant safe?

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You could also cheat and just coat the hose / pipe in aquarium safe silicone followed by a layer of sand, stones, rock, driftwood pieces or basically anything you like, that suits your tanks scape...

The other option would be to try and get some moss attached and growing across the pipe for a more natural look...

Both methods should save you some substrte lol...
Yeah, the moss would be a pretty good idea! Maybe a layer of sand to get it to grab on.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, the moss would be a pretty good idea! Maybe a layer of sand to get it to grab on.
Im not 100% sure about this, but im going to go out on a limb and say; as long as the surface of a PVC pipe has been roughed up enough and you tie the moss down to it, it should eventually take hold and grab onto the pipe...

You may need to get some course sandpaper to achieve this, but i have a feeling if given enough time it should root too the pipe quite well?

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You’re full of good ideas, maybe I could make grooves in it with a small toothed hand saw. It would definitely grab that.
Im not 100% sure about this, but im going to go out on a limb and say; as long as the surface of a PVC pipe has been roughed up enough and you tie the moss down to it, it should eventually take hold and grab onto the pipe...

You may need to get some course sandpaper to achieve this, but i have a feeling if given enough time it should root too the pipe quite well?

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Lol thanks, always happy to help out a fellow member ;)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Cribroheros are one of the Central American equivalents to Geophagus.

I have used Vallisneria and Crypts in there tanks without a problem.
As long as they have open areas to dig, they seldom bother the plants.
I heavily planted the tank, weeks before adding the fish though, in that way the root systems were well established.
A more half tank shot.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Cribroheros are one of the Central American equivalents to Geophagus.

I have used Vallisneria and Crypts in there tanks without a problem.
As long as they have open areas to dig, they seldom bother the plants.
I heavily planted the tank, weeks before adding the fish though, in that way the root systems were well established.
A more half tank shot.

Here’s my problem, I already have the geos lol. They’re in a grow out at the moment but the fire eel is already in the tank I intend to plant. I would leave the foreground unplanted to allow them to dig if they decide to. Those Cribroheros are pretty cool looking though!

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
lots of diggers you have. i hate how geo's sucks up substrates and spits them out making your susbtrates all weird and not even across. moss will take forever to grow and spread especially with no co2 and hope your geo's dont pick on it to ruin it.

here's what i would do, since the geo are not in the tank yet. i would plant lots of tall plants. like some tall crypts and vals. let the plants established and send out baby runners and really let their roots spread out into the substrates. that would be harder for the fish to uproot the plants. i would make sure u have a nice depth of substrates for the roots to attach to the gravels more.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
lots of diggers you have. i hate how geo's sucks up substrates and spits them out making your susbtrates all weird and not even across. moss will take forever to grow and spread especially with no co2 and hope your geo's dont pick on it to ruin it.

here's what i would do, since the geo are not in the tank yet. i would plant lots of tall plants. like some tall crypts and vals. let the plants established and send out baby runners and really let their roots spread out into the substrates. that would be harder for the fish to uproot the plants. i would make sure u have a nice depth of substrates for the roots to attach to the gravels more.
Thanks for the reply, I was considering sand as a substrate. Should I put a base layer of gravel to let the roots take a stronger hold? I was going to border the “planter area” with rocks to try to keep the eel out.
I could let the vals and crypts establish before I move the geos in as you suggested. They’re red head tapajos if that makes any difference.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
it might be harder and longer for the plants in sand substrate to established. also easier to have them uproot by the fish. u can put a layer of gravel then add sand to top it off. but that can look ugly. and when the geo's play with the sand. the gravel and sand will mix and show. thats an ugly look to me. unless u dont mind how it looks. since its sand, u might need a stronger light to speed up the plants from establishing roots. unless u want to go the co2 route which is like 10 times faster. and u gotta remember, when the tank is not balanced. u will have lots of algae growth on the plants. which will make the plants look ugly and not grow as fast as u like. and it might make u change ur mind about plants and give up. then youre stuck with mixed gravels and sand making it look ugly. unless youre ok with that look. if not youre going to want to change the substrates and thats going to take more work. but if u do decide on sand. make sure its a dense sand thats heavy and falls instantly and have a deep depth of sand for the roots to spread out more. dont bother with sand that are to light. the flow alone will push the sand to certain area's.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
it might be harder and longer for the plants in sand substrate to established. also easier to have them uproot by the fish. u can put a layer of gravel then add sand to top it off. but that can look ugly. and when the geo's play with the sand. the gravel and sand will mix and show. thats an ugly look to me. unless u dont mind how it looks. since its sand, u might need a stronger light to speed up the plants from establishing roots. unless u want to go the co2 route which is like 10 times faster. and u gotta remember, when the tank is not balanced. u will have lots of algae growth on the plants. which will make the plants look ugly and not grow as fast as u like. and it might make u change ur mind about plants and give up. then youre stuck with mixed gravels and sand making it look ugly. unless youre ok with that look. if not youre going to want to change the substrates and thats going to take more work. but if u do decide on sand. make sure its a dense sand thats heavy and falls instantly and have a deep depth of sand for the roots to spread out more. dont bother with sand that are to light. the flow alone will push the sand to certain area's.
These are good points I haven’t considered. Is pool filter sand heavy? Maybe I’ll do a planted substrate in the area the plants will be. I’ll make a border with rocks around that, and use sand in the foreground. I intend to have all the plant area completely filled in eventually so I wouldn’t even see the substrate as it mixes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store