Are they cichla monoculus, ocellaris, orinocensis or kelberi?

AndreiCovoran

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2019
Hello guys and in this way I want to tell you that I'm very glad that I found a forum where I can really learn because in Romania there are not many keepers of monster fish or especially american cichlids.

I have a question that's been bothering me for a couple of months and I can't find a real answer.
I bought 3 cichla monoculus but I started to have doubts about their type. Can you please help me to identify their real kind? Thank you very much!

Also, just one of them, as you can see in the picture grew very big compared to the others. Is this normal? He is kind of a bully when the two others are trying to get teritorial (you can see on the upper fin) but he leaves them in peace while they are eating.

If you need more pics, just tell me. Thanks again!

70333195_374922876769820_8524776691124404224_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWolfman

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Hello guys and in this way I want to tell you that I'm very glad that I found a forum where I can really learn because in Romania there are not many keepers of monster fish or especially american cichlids.

I have a question that's been bothering me for a couple of months and I can't find a real answer.
I bought 3 cichla monoculus but I started to have doubts about their type. Can you please help me to identify their real kind? Thank you very much!

Also, just one of them, as you can see in the picture grew very big compared to the others. Is this normal? He is kind of a bully when the two others are trying to get teritorial (you can see on the upper fin) but he leaves them in peace while they are eating.

View attachment 1387875
Nice bass, congratulations on the pickup. The dominate fish looks ocellaris to me. The other fish look it as well but they are stressed in he picture so hard to tell. When they get larger they will color up soon and you will definitely be able to tell by them.

AndreiCovoran

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2019
Thank you for replying. Do you have any idea why just one is bigger then others? Am I doing something wrong? I'm afraid that the bigger one will eat them really soon :(

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
If it fits in its mouth....

Look to be similar size, as long as that doesn’t change should be ok, if they all eat the others should catch up.

My larger one started eating pellets sooner and grew faster than the others, the smaller soon took to pellets and size increased.

Probably bigger tank soonish...

Reactions: AndreiCovoran

AndreiCovoran

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2019
He already eat 4 labeo and 2 pleco and he is the only one that's eating pellets. I tried to brake them in half so the other two can eat but they don't seem to like the taste. I will try other food, maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks. I wish you clear waters!

favian13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
There all monoculas can you post updated pictures,there not ocellaris

favian13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2015

View attachment 1387875
There mono's these are ocellaris

20190302_184405.jpg

20170225_141532.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store