are xantic and golden managuense the same fish?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
are xantic and golden managuense the same fish or they two different ones? thank you

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Well that's a hard one. I believe I've seen some golds that have produced xanthic offspring (carriers of xanthic gene). However the old pics of the one overseas that originally started the buzz was I believe a Nic.

I'm trying to go off memory so I may be a little off. There are some pretty extensive posts I read on here about the subject I believe ( I was originally trying to aquire parents capable of producing xanthic offspring years ago).

Last edited:
Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Well that's a hard one. I believe I've seen some golds that have produced xanthic offspring (carriers of xanthic gene). However the old pics of the one overseas that originally started the buzz was I believe a Nic.

I'm trying to go off memory so I may be a little off. There are some pretty extensive posts I read on here about the subject I believe ( I was originally trying to aquire parents capable of producing xanthic offspring years ago).
Is the "gold" considered a morph?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yeah. There's another one with no Aztec patterns as well that's super rare "one in a million catch" is what Mo Dev said the local's call it. He actually has a group he's growing out I believe

Reactions: cichlidfish

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Ok thanks. Have a group of xantic and just ordered a group of gold so we shall see

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Back in the late 80s I had a normal strain, spawning pair of managuense, each time they spawned, a small portion would be plain gold, another small portion of the spawn would be darker than normal, most of the spawn normal. Both of these different morphs tended to stand out, and unless I removed them from the tank quickly, were usually eaten by their brothers and sisters.
I grew out a few, but found without the normal markings, they looked like a very generic Parachromis.
I did not find that interesting.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Xanthic is bright yellow, "gold" managuense is anything but gold lite brownish yellow is more descriptive of the morph, "gold managuense" is a stretch just another example of vendors to get a few more bucks, I've seen a particular vendor use a pic of an xanthic managuense to sell the "golden" morph...xanthic and gold managuense are night and day in color difference....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store