are xantic and golden managuense the same fish?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Would you mind sharing where you ordered your gold and xantic group?
Xantic was from rapps
Gold is coming from amazing fish

Xanthic is bright yellow, "gold" managuense is anything but gold lite brownish yellow is more descriptive of the morph, "gold managuense" is a stretch just another example of vendors to get a few more bucks, I've seen a particular vendor use a pic of an xanthic managuense to sell the "golden" morph...xanthic and gold managuense are night and day in color difference....
I am curious to grow the gold out alongside the xantic. The pictures of the fish I am getting (though tiny) look nothing like my xantic or regular managuense

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Xantic was from rapps

I am curious to grow the gold out alongside the xantic. The pictures of the fish I am getting (though tiny) look nothing like my xantic or regular managuense
From what I understand, the "Gold" variant is somewhat line bred and the "Xanthic" is a one in a million catch. I think Rapps is hoping to refresh the "Xanthic" line in the next year with the matured Managuense that possess the recessive gold gene, or at least I hope so! ;)

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
got the new ones in. They look good but small. Pretty sure I now have 11 of the same fish.

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I found The Betta Handbook to be very helpful. I'll posts some quotes I found relative.
“In fish, (the colors) are manifestations of light refracted by guanine crystals in the epidermis after bouncing off dermal layers containing melanin.”
“…In bettas where color is fixed because the iridophors are not motile, but stuck in crystalline arrays, and melanosome dispersal and contraction play a minor role.”
“The most common pigment is melanin, and it usually makes the fish black (gray) or brown. I fish deficient in melanin is lighter, and extremely light fish without melanin are called xanthic. Xanthic fish are generally called “”semialbinos.” A complete lack of melanin is albinism. Albinos are xanthic fish that lack pigment in the eyes.”
“xanthic is an established term in fisheries”
"xanthic fish with crystalline guanine iridescence are sometimes called gold.”

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store