Are you thinking about trying discus...

SusieQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
Killingworth Ct. USA
Hi.. Thanks everyone for the nice comments and helpful info...
Darrell...Thanks for mentioning the cycling.. This is definitely not a fish to use for cycling your tank LOL..
I too keep bns with my discus with never a problem.. Ottos on the other hand, I have had to remove on 2 separate occasions as they were eating discus slime.. You just have to watch and see. Regular plecos just get too big, don't do much re algae and are really big poop machines so you need a really large tank for them, have to love them and have to watch that they don't get a liking for discus slime..
Msjinkzd..Sterbai cories are great in a group of at least 6. They do very well with the discus temps and love the same sand substrate..
Also Casper thanks for the great advice about the water.. Depending on your tap water, you may not be able to only add prime and use the tap.. might have to use storage system if the ph is dramatically different. The most important thing is consistency with ph, tds and temp.. If you can use it the python is great for larger tanks..
I really appreciate everyone's contributions hopefully we can keep this going and help out some newbies as well as remind some of us what our flat friends need.. Thanks again and keep those comments and additions coming.:popcorn::popcorn: Sue:D

Reactions: Chadster72

SusieQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
Killingworth Ct. USA
Hi msjinkzd.. Love to see a school of 20 sterbai in a discus tank..... just looked at your tank picks.. gotta love the shrimp as well... really like your setups and of course your flat friends LOL. Sue...

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
We don't have much informative sticky threads for this section so I'll stick this. Your input is appreciated, guys.:) This is what the forum is for.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
oscar n redtail cat;2740860; said:
what catfish could be keeped with discs ??
Here's the criteria to consider:
1. Tolerant of high temperature. Discus require this as normally, they weaken further when the temperature is not to their liking and makes them more problematic to deal with.
2. Activity. Discus don't take to boisterous activities easily.
3. Diet. Most catfish suck on the slime coat when they feel their diet is insufficient so you need to consider this as discus become easily stressed when they are constantly harassed by the catfish's habits. This is common in plecos although some of us have kept them with discus with no issues as long as they are well-fed.
4. Attitude. Most catfish are obnoxious and will defend their territory so be careful yours isn't one of them. Some are just aggressive for no reason and are best avoided.

I've kept bristlenose plecos with my discus before with no issues. Striped raphaels seem to fit the bill as these are clearly couch potatoes doing nothing but wait for the food to drop on their faces.

spin420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Mililani, Hawaii
Hello, I was wondering why it is important to buy all the Discus at the same time, is it because they are more likely to fight if you buy them separately?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
spin420;2759659; said:
Hello, I was wondering why it is important to buy all the Discus at the same time, is it because they are more likely to fight if you buy them separately?
Hi,

Yes, your guess is correct. The more established specimen is likely to harass the newcomers which is why it is always a good idea to buy a group all at the same time instead of individually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store