Are you thinking about trying discus...

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
electric enigma;4631001; said:
I had 42 Gallon tank. In the tank there are 3 BGK, 3 Clown Loach, 3 Discus, 2 Red Malaysian Mahseer (still baby), 5 Guppy, 2 Yellow tetra and 1 featherfin squeaker and 4 tiger barb..can this fish get along? I just get to know that tiger barb is fin-nipper..how long they can get along? it is because i'm not at my home for a few days..please help..are discus will survive for this few days?:confused:
Separate them when you get home.

BobB;4742235; said:
Is it best to buy discus online or a LFS. If online any particular ones.
Local breeders are always your best source but you can try reputable sources online. Look out for feedbacks and see if this is the source you want to buy your discus from.

Reactions: Chadster72

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I've found Discus to be very hardy fish when healthy. To get pairs I like to keep groups of 5 to 8 in a 55 community tank. I normally do 30-50% weekly water changes for all my fish so that was no problem. I keep the temperature at 84 and they do fine. One they pair off I move them to a 20 high with a spawning cone, continue the water changes and high heat and they take care of the rest.

I've never found Discus to be the delicate challenge they're always presented as in the books as long as I practice good husbandry. I had one pair that I'd given a planted 30 along with a bunch of Kuhli loaches just as a display, and I basically forgot about that tank for nearly two months aside from feedings and topping off the water when it got too low for the undergravel fliter lift tubes to churn the surface. I was going through some serious personal issues at the time. It go to the point where most of the live plants had died, producing a nearly 2 inch thck layer of mulm at the bottom which the loaches loved. The water was so bad that when I finally did a change it stank! The pair had stopped breeding, but once I started caring for them again, picked up right here they left off.

My favorite community tank with them was a 55 with 6 Discus, 12 Congo Tetras, 3 Whiptail loricaria, and 6 corydoras julii. I got 2 pairs out of the group and they spawned and raised babies right in the community tank. It was filered by a Sandman brand hang on sand filter.

Practice good husbandry and Discus are even easier to keep than wild Tanganyikan cichlids... at least in my experience! :cool:

bigcatlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
Colorado
Hey guys! So I did my research, got my discus and they seem to be doing well! They are juveniles and I have been keeping up on the frequent feedings and water changes. I have a question about ph though. Everything I saw said that discus are very much ph sensitive and that they actually prefer a lower ph than what I would consider acceptable in my other tanks. The person that I got them from said that she keeps the ph between 6.6 and 7.0. Typically our water, even with driftwood and properly conditioned tends to run a bit higher than that. I saw above that someone keeps them at 8.3... so I guess my question is, how sensitive to ph are they really? Should I be freaking out because our ph tends to run towards 7.2? Other than drift wood, any other natural suggestions for lowering ph? Thanks!

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
A lot of breeders raise their babies in hard water, and this has conditioned most tank bred fish to a higher ph. 7.2 should be just fine for tank raised fish. Heck, even wild fish, in my opinion, would adjust to 7.2 as long as good husbandry is practiced and big swings in water quality don't happen. Peat in the filter is a natural alternative to drift wood. You could also store your water change water in a container with peat and an aerator going.

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
Great sticky lots of interesting info.
However I still have 3 questions.

1. What should the Nitrate level be for the adults & juveniles, assuming that the filtration is over adequate and Ammonia & Nitrite is 0?

2. How often should the juvies & adults be fed a day, respectively?

3. Is pH and tds really that iportant to raise and breed these fish or should these 2 parameters just be constant?

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
Great sticky lots of interesting info.
However I still have 3 questions.

1. What should the Nitrate level be for the adults & juveniles, assuming that the filtration is over adequate and Ammonia & Nitrite is 0?

nitrate should never be over 30ppm but the closer to 10 the better.

2. How often should the juvies & adults be fed a day, respectively?

juvies should be fed 5-7 times a day adult can get away with 3 times a day.

3. Is pH and tds really that iportant to raise and breed these fish or should these 2 parameters just be constant?

they have been bred in as high as 8+ ph i believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store