Are you thinking about trying discus...

Chidori Noodlez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Michigan
whats TDS..... i want to get into Discus so believe me im researching as much as i can. there's a local breeder here that sells them on Craigslist but wont email me back. So i"m sure you all have more than enough knowledge to feed my hunger. Thanks

fish n chips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
ireland
i took the plunge and added 2 small discus ill try put a photo up tomorrow and keep ye posted on ther progress there v small but iv a great zoom ill make them look like monsters :drool:

luis0569

Feeder Fish
Nov 30, 2009
chicago,IL
Discus are very fascinating fish to keep not hard at all put you have to devote alot of time and money to them in the end well worth it. Water changes every week the more you change the water the faster they will grow and the healthier they will be the more protein they eat the more colorful they will become

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
The number one problem I find with Discus fish is -every- source of information about their care has a different take on the ideal way to care for them. It's very challenging to figure out.

So far, I haven't found my discus to be any more or less "delicate" than my angel fish. My Discus is not scared of me or other fish. Even my Pictus catfish has learned no amount of posturing is going to scare my Discus, and after a few seconds he (the Pictus) cowardly retreats to "his spot". My Discus is not bothered by his tanks mates (Angel's, Gourami, Rainbows and Tetra's and catfish) and he doesn't bother them. Infact, like the angels, nobody messes with my Discus, he goes where he pleases and does as he pleases.

My Problem (and that's assuming it is a problem)
Even with weekly water changes (10 gallons per week without fail), a 75 gallon planted tank and the cleanest water I have ever managed in an aquarium to date; my discuss will not display those brilliant colours. He shows some colours but they're not "impressive".
He's 2.5 inches give or take a 1/8 of an inch. I did some reading which suggests they don't display a lot of colour at an early age, but I can't confirm this.

I suppose it -could- be because I only have 1 discus (this will change in time) but at the same time I have several "schooling" fish that are alone and they do just fine; so I'm not entirely convinced by the arguement.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Chadster72

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The number one problem I find with Discus fish is -every- source of information about their care has a different take on the ideal way to care for them. It's very challenging to figure out.

So far, I haven't found my discus to be any more or less "delicate" than my angel fish. My Discus is not scared of me or other fish. Even my Pictus catfish has learned no amount of posturing is going to scare my Discus, and after a few seconds he (the Pictus) cowardly retreats to "his spot". My Discus is not bothered by his tanks mates (Angel's, Gourami, Rainbows and Tetra's and catfish) and he doesn't bother them. Infact, like the angels, nobody messes with my Discus, he goes where he pleases and does as he pleases.

My Problem (and that's assuming it is a problem)
Even with weekly water changes (10 gallons per week without fail), a 75 gallon planted tank and the cleanest water I have ever managed in an aquarium to date; my discuss will not display those brilliant colours. He shows some colours but they're not "impressive".
He's 2.5 inches give or take a 1/8 of an inch. I did some reading which suggests they don't display a lot of colour at an early age, but I can't confirm this.

I suppose it -could- be because I only have 1 discus (this will change in time) but at the same time I have several "schooling" fish that are alone and they do just fine; so I'm not entirely convinced by the arguement.

Any thoughts?
What variety of discus? From my experience snakeskins don't show great color until they are 3.5 to 4 inches. Pigeon bloods will usually have good color very small that just keeps getting better. Also my discus are more colorful in a group. They show off and bicker amongst themselves and really get bold colors. I've kept discus alone for quarantine reasons and they immediately colored up once added to a group.

Reactions: Chadster72

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Honestly I don't believe you. How much and what do you feed?

The "straightjacket" tanks are used because discus need heaps of protein rich food to grow properly and avoid stunting. This makes a lot of waste even with flow.

Also impossible to get 0 nitrates really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store