Aro's eat veggies?

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hey everyone,

Its been a long time since I have posted. Partly because I didnt have a computer for a long time. But I am back and I have been reading up on all the stuff thats been going on and checking out all the pictures of all the sweet fish. I really missed it!

Anyways, for the past almost three weeks, I have added thawed out green peas to my feedings and my aro has really taken to eating them! It chases them down just as much as when I feed pellets or shrimp. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It doesnt seem to be having any bad effects on him and its really helping my food budget since a huge ass bag of frozen peas costs like a dollar. What do the aro-experts think?

I'll try to get some updated pics of my fish as soon as I can find my camera. They have all gotten so big!
Thanks guys

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I don't think its a good idea to feed veggies, since in the wild , i think their main diet are insects and fish and meat. they are carnivore, and might not be built to take veggies? also the veggie might not provide nutrient that aros need. :D

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
batang_mcdo;841831; said:
I don't think its a good idea to feed veggies, since in the wild , i think their main diet are insects and fish and meat. they are carnivore, and might not be built to take veggies? also the veggie might not provide nutrient that aros need. :D
arowana do get plant matter in there diet, the herbivorous and omvinvorous prey that they consume contain plant matter in the stomach. Its kinda indirect, but arowana do get there foliage.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Getting some indirect foliage does not mean that aros eat vegetables...Lions and tigers also get loads of vegies..are we saying they eat vegies?

No. Aro's, although getting indirect vegetable matter sometime, do not eat veggies.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Miguel;841884; said:
Getting some indirect foliage does not mean that aros eat vegetables...Lions and tigers also get loads of vegies..are we saying they eat vegies?

No. Aro's, although getting indirect vegetable matter sometime, do not eat veggies.
lions and tigers go for certain organs of the animals they kill, the stomach is not one of them.

arowana swallow and digest there prey whole

they can eat veggies but as long they are getting there regular diet eating peas is not a problem.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
DeLgAdO;842596; said:
lions and tigers go for certain organs of the animals they kill, the stomach is not one of them.

arowana swallow and digest there prey whole

they can eat veggies but as long they are getting there regular diet eating peas is not a problem.
I agree.....a little veggie shouldnt hurt....but feed mostly meat...I'd leave the tail of the market shrimp on while feeding to ensure better digestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store