Aro's eat veggies?

Gaurav_patil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
In my country now there is a total 21 day lockdown. Now only my aro, since 10 days stopped eating pellets. He used to take blood worms but they got over. I had ordered new box but due to the virus,Amazon delayed and now I'm not sure it will come for the next 3 weeks. I tried peas and my arowana does eat them agressively. Could he live on peas for the next month?I'll keep trying his Pellets but not sure if he'll take. He takes them in his mouth and then just spits them out. Any advice will be appreciated.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
In my country now there is a total 21 day lockdown. Now only my aro, since 10 days stopped eating pellets. He used to take blood worms but they got over. I had ordered new box but due to the virus,Amazon delayed and now I'm not sure it will come for the next 3 weeks. I tried peas and my arowana does eat them agressively. Could he live on peas for the next month?I'll keep trying his Pellets but not sure if he'll take. He takes them in his mouth and then just spits them out. Any advice will be appreciated.
It depends on what you mean by "live on them" a fish can go upto a month without eating but it's not good for them. As for the peas it may satiate hunger but it's not filling the required amounts of nutrients to maintain normal bodily function. Think of it this way, we humans can curb hunger by drinking water, humans can also go over a month without food but you will feel that your body is no longer functioning the way it should be by the end of it. Personally I would rather risk having the fish get sick from eating non quarentined food rather then starving it on peas. If ya can I would either feed it beef, poultry, pork, rodents, insects, shellfish, other fish, basically anything that contains protein. Aro's are Apex predators where they come from, as mentioned by others, they only get plant matter from prey they consume. As for it being able to live on peas for 3 weeks it's definitely possible but it's not worth the potential risk of losing the fish do to it's body giving up on itself from lack of proper nutrition.

Gaurav_patil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
So are you saying I should just let it go hungry? Because he used to eat pellets just fine like ten days ago so might he just feel hungry and start eating them again?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So are you saying I should just let it go hungry? Because he used to eat pellets just fine like ten days ago so might he just feel hungry and start eating them again?
If he's refusing to eat pellets all of a sudden there may be something wrong with the water parameters. Usually a fish won't go on a hunger strike without a reason for it.

Gaurav_patil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
I thought so. I didn't have a test kit so I just started Changing water twice instead of once each week. Could he have just got bored by any chance?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I thought so. I didn't have a test kit so I just started Changing water twice instead of once each week. Could he have just got bored by any chance?
It's possible but not likely. I would keep up with the water changes while still offering pellets everyday, if he doesn't eat by the next day everyday I would remove the old food and replace it with new food.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
When I feed peas to my severums the aro will eat too. It's not intended for him but as I make sure he's got his propper pellet and supplemental food.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
So several people state flatly that arowanas don't eat greens...despite the fact that several others state that theirs do. To those who deny the possibility: have you found documentation of studies that indicate they are 100% carnivorous? Just because they are apex predators they are not necessarily purely carnivores; North American apex predators are wolves and bears, both of which eat considerable quantities of fruit and vegetable matter at times. Not a very valid comparison, but you get the idea.

Not trying to be argumentative or state that you are wrong. I personally don't know and am curious myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store