Arowanna killer

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
exwp;5164841; said:
I've fed brine shrimp. Freeze dried krill most recently. Like I said "lotsa plants". I don't heat the water. The water I put in is 70 degrees, I keep the tank 80-82. The temp drop after water change is not noticable. possibly 1/2 a degree. I only change 10 gallons a week. The fish are small. The tank is big. I do check ph and amonia in the fresh water before I add it. The larger one did eat a few flies.
Brine shrimp are a little small, but if your feeding multiple times daily I guess a baby aro may get enough. I would suggest freeze dried bloodworms for any future babies. Pellets would be a better choice for any 4" and larger, freeze dried krill is OK in a varied diet but not a good choice for a staple. There are reports of the freeze dried krill causing protruding anus when being the only food fed.

Yes you said "lotsa plants" but if they are not floating, they do very little in adding to the arowana feeling secure. Only 10g a week? This is the 150g or a different tank?

exwp;5164844; said:
I don't have measurable nitrite or nitrate. at least not in this tank.
So I take it you have live plants?

exwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Lots of plants. Thanks for all the thought. I'm going to leave the tank pretty much fishless for a month or two. Then try again. It's almost summer so I concentrate on killing salmonids.

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
exwp;5164743; said:
Arowana size has been 3-6 inches. Had a baby senegalis too. he hunted the first two. put him in another tank. This tank is 150 g. lots of plants. marineland c530 canister filter. Water changes once a week. water sits in the room for a week in between changes. PH maintains neutral. There are 1-1 1/2 inch angels in the tank. They don't bother the aros. There is no sign of any abuse when they die. They just quit eating and starve. There is a small dubeoise cat 1-2 inch. He's very shy and probably never see's the aros. Even the largest one (6-7 inches) did the sme thing. Stopped eating and starved. Two small plecos in the tank too. The total fish mass in this tank is minute to say the least. Maybe I'll keep one in a ten gallon till it grows too big.
if everything else is all good i suspect the aros are stressed out, lost the apetite to eat and died. could be the tank too over crowded for the babies.
if you wanna try from the baby size its not bad idea to put it in the 10G until prolly 6-7 inch if you tank is long style.
i would recommend it bigger if you plant to keep more than 1 baby aros in that 10G tank.
or you can skip the baby size and go for 9-12 inches?

firemouthdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2009
NZ
The reason your arowana die is probably due to only doing 10g waterchanges on a 150g tank. You should do at least 30 to 50% waterchanges weekly if you want good water conditions. 150g is too small for an aro long term anyway. How big is the tank your red tailed cat is in as that is probably in a larger tank?

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
Then are you sure you cycled it?

and never start an arrow in anything under a 40 gallon....
what is the reason for that?
i dont see problem with babies aro in a tank smaller than 40 as long the owner is aware they will need alot bigger tank very soon after.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
what is the reason for that?
i dont see problem with babies aro in a tank smaller than 40 as long the owner is aware they will need alot bigger tank very soon after.
x2 They are fragile and it helps to keep them in a small tank until atleast the yolk sac is gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store