Arts and Crafts

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
When you get old and half nuts, they put you in a home where you get to eat Jello and paint small wooden things as therapy.

The business of engineering government projects drove me to some form of the same thing, plus some metal.
Or maybe I just tell folks that to justify the cost.

Anyhow I have modded, carved, gripped, and painted 30+ decks for various skateboards, over a period of years.
Most were for me: I was chasing the perfect setup . . .

But I did 8 for my grandkids, and the last two were the most fun, because I had no time limit and a lot to work with.
It helps to have some layout tools for the artwork. Lots I did on CAD, but that was a luxury I didn't always use.
DSCF5229.jpg

Working on the Mayan deck grips.
DSCF5228.jpg

The wheel wells are routed and hand-painted, but the swirls are a printed cloth embedded in the clear epoxy.
I took a router to this $160 deck (+tax & shipping) and it has lots of clear coat poly. The billet gear is custom CNC.
DSCF5225.jpg

Darth Nutz is a blacked-out Clutch mfg Deez Nutz, with billet gear. Tires were hand cut from billet urethane.This is an extreme ride.
DSCF5178.jpg
Gear is all custom made.
DSCF5180.jpg

This was done by putting printed cloth in the clear epoxy, with clear sand grip.
I rode this board in the race photos.

DSCF5085.jpg

Custom beck built for me. Also cloth under epoxy, same top and bottom. Trucks were major custom experiment by me.
DSCF3651.JPG
I also routed the wheelwells with a template I made from plywood.

Top of the board above and bottom of another. The brown one de-laminated almost completely on the first prang. We used the wrong glue.

DSCF3656.JPG

The Mayan, front and back. It contains a code. Or two. Maybe three . . .
helmaya04.jpghelmaya02.jpg

The bottom is pressed Formica and the stripes are in it.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That fish on the leash is cute, I love it.

Reactions: Ulu

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats some serious skill you got there building full custom boards, trucks & wheels

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Ulu Ulu i was meaning to ask this before, but can you give me a bit more info on how you created that custom grip tape???

I mean i dont skate anymore but who knows, maybe one day i’ll be inspired to hop back on a board ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store