Arts and Crafts

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I made custom trucks from other trucks, and I had some machined to my design.
DSCF4491.JPG

The crazy spring-loaded truck on the right was re-machined to be the like truck on the left.
10sides2.jpg

I made the pivot pins and tapped them in. I also cut off the original pivot and machined it to a bushing seat.

10assy2.jpg
I also machined off these keys, and milled another seat.
10keys.jpg
They are assembled on an Indy base plate and they are one-of-a-kind. From left to right, my modified 10" truck before machining off the big aluminum pivot. 6" Indy truck which donated basplates, original spring/cam action truck from Original Trucks.
10tops.jpg
The Original truck had a great action, for about five minutes. As soon as dust gets in the pivots it gets sticky. Total PITA but they were expensive, so I re-imagined them as really wide traditional trucks.
2-wide.jpg

The Disco45 is a "sagboard". It is my #2 board for daily riding. It is so long that to turn it you must flex the board in the direction you want to go. The trucks are SurfRodz INDeez, made by an aircraft parts co from solid billet. They have mad steering. I cut the wheelwells with a router and chisel for more steering clearance.
DSCF4063.JPG
Or you can do a tail slide if conditions allow and it will turn fast. This is a comfy and fast long distance board geared for old ashphalt. Every road has its texture and the best wheel or deck will vary a lot with conditions. These are not the fastest wheels, but they maintain speed over grit and debris.

The front truck is wedged up to make it steer more without as much lean. The back truck is wedged down to make it lean a lot without turning as much. This differential in setup makes it possible to pump this board forward with body english.

DSCF5185a.jpg

This deck was built, ply by ply, by Russ Owen of the Soda Factory in Rhode Island. Lots of fun on a ten miler.

But mid-board sag isn't totally controllable because you put your feet at the ends. It's not a precise or crisp handler.

This design has a notch that moves the sag action right in front of the rear foot It kicks up just a little, nose and tail. This is my design, cut from a pre-manufactured maple blank of my spec. It was the first of 3 I built, tuning this design.

DSCF4958.jpg

This started the unfinished series Gods of the Bongo Congo.

BONGO: God of hard pavement. That noise you hear when your head hits the street is the mighty Drum of Bongo.
DSCF6909_zps4c0b37ce.jpg

LONGO: The long distance Ocean Turtle-god propels himself through the water with huge sub-sonic drumbeats.
2016-04-05 00.29.26.jpg

Bongo was built from this much longer board, and is 7 plys of hard rock maple, indiividually laid with TiteBond III, and vacuum pressed over a mold. This style is called a "dancer" and that's what it's for. Not my thing and I cut into it with great relish.
scout2step.jpg

Hey, there's my Dad's old Scout! (The engine is seized since 1990's)

Reactions: xraycer

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Ulu Ulu i was meaning to ask this before, but can you give me a bit more info on how you created that custom grip tape???

I mean i dont skate anymore but who knows, maybe one day i’ll be inspired to hop back on a board ?
Some was various colors of grip tape from the local skate shop. I just drew on the back and cut it with razor knives and home made punches. I sharpened a lot of blades doing them. ;)

Some grip was just heavy clear paint, with clear or white sand applied on top while wet.

This one was made with black and red paint. I cut an adhesive mask for each shape. I shot the clear and sand on then pulled off the mask. The mask is just layers of tape, pre-cut on a plastic board. Sand was colored art sand from Michael's craft store. It was too light here, with just clear paint, and got red and black paint to darken it up.
a.JPG
That's not my pool table. It belongs to the guy who built the deck for me.

DSCF4818.jpg
Never think Too Old!
church 16 094_zpspuzudxqn.jpg

Only the big board has the wheels free to rotate. Stunt shot for a skate forum contest.
spicy2.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So if you use the clear paint method on the board, does that mean you can never change the “grip tape” so to speak? Since its painted directly onto the board?

The other method painting onto an adhesive sheet sounds like a pretty cool idea for someone like myself, at least i could always change it when i got bored of it or it started to lose grip...

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You can scrape it off with a putty knife if you soften the paint with lacquer thinner.

I usually just scrub it, re-paint,and add more sand, as it wears down.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks for the tips, going to have to keep these in mind for future reference...

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The first "Hang Ten" custom board (of 3 eventually built)
Hey if it doesn't ride well it might make a good hood ornament.

DSCF5035.jpg

I don't ride "switch". That means I only ride one way: with my left foot at the nose of the board, as I push with the right foot from the right side. Switch riders can push with either foot. I'm too old to learn that.

BUT, I have built a specific board to address that issue. It's the one with yellow tape.
It is as unsymmetrical as the other one is symmetrical, and it has a purpose.
20160327_233938-1.jpg
This board is carved to respond harder to board pumping from my preferred posture. It pumps so hart to the right that it will lift one wheel in the front. But in addition to the shape, the trucks are specially wedged, so a "leftie" can't just turn the board backwards and pump it. It would be like riding the brakes.

Part of the secret is in the twist. I took a high dollar board nobody would ride because of the twist, and made it perform well enough to be my 3rd favorite ever.
20160327_233917-1.jpg

Because of the non-square nose and tail, this photo presents an optical illusion. The right board looks far more warped than it really is.
But it is absolutely twisted.

Gluing the grip.
DSCF4989.jpg

Reactions: xraycer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Wow, the hang tend brandname is one i havent heard being mentioned in a while...

Also a “✋?High Five” for being a goofy foot rider like myself... since i’m like you and used to ride left foot front and push with right only... never got around to learning to skate regular as they call it...

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I ride "regular". Never mongo or goofy. Can't do it, though I have tried.

BTW, those red 'feet" on the Hang Ten are really coarse sanding discs, cut & glued to the board, and embeded in poly.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
well I am freaking impressed. great work sir.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Why thank you Pops! it really was so much easier and less stressful than what I did for a living that I got carried away building boards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store