Asian Arowana Compatibility

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
doesnt rly make a difference as long as theres 6 arowana to spread out the aggression. although ive been told having 6 arowanas doesnt always mean it will still work out, best to have some holding tanks ready in case if the fightin gets too severe.
Yes, it does not matter the variety. Just get 6 asian arowanas. Just don't get 6 jardinis.
From my understanding Asians can have bad attitudes as well
Asian aro still fight each other and can be as aggressive as the Jardini. Best bet start them out small together and raise them up.
Just as mentioned by Sticky above.

Asians are really aggressive. If you are intending to try, get them as young as possible as a group (you may still find broken tail, fallen scales and sometime blood), and try out, and when they cross 10 inch, it is still going to be a gamble.

Within Asians Green Arowana are less aggressive to other Asians. Golden and Red Arowana, best to keep them alone.
Thank you so much for the input and time everyone! I appreciate it greatly. Will post any updates on this project when they become available!

Reactions: moe214

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hi all! Just picked up the RTGs today. Also picked up a red tail :) They're in a 75 gal right now but will be transferred to a 150 later this week. The pond is under construction as well. Thanks to everyone again for all the help - here are some pics!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
IMG_0014.JPGIMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG I heard the red tail; green; and jardini are the most aggressive aro's.
I have a chile/red aro and they are supposedly to be less aggressive.
I think tank size has a lot to do with it.
My chile/red is a perfect gentlemen with all until it comes to feeding time.
Then he has to be fed first!!!! I make sure he eats first!!!!
Once him mouth is full then I throw in food for the rest.
Most fish pick up on this and do not dare to try to get the first shrimp, etc that I throw in the tank.
But when I put new large fish in the tank....well... they don't know this yet...
I seen the aro grab a 6 inch devil and could of easily killed it but he let it go.
Everyone lived and the devil learned who eats first.
Chile/reds are some of the mellowest aros and best looking.
He is now 26 inches long.
I highly recommend them!!!!
Cheers!

Forgot to mention that I had tanning lights in the tank at that time...
tanning is done.

Last edited:

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
View attachment 1192032View attachment 1192035 View attachment 1192033 I heard the red tail; green; and jardini are the most aggressive aro's.
I have a chile/red aro and they are supposedly to be less aggressive.
I think tank size has a lot to do with it.
My chile/red is a perfect gentlemen with all until it comes to feeding time.
Then he has to be fed first!!!! I make sure he eats first!!!!
Once him mouth is full then I throw in food for the rest.
Most fish pick up on this and do not dare to try to get the first shrimp, etc that I throw in the tank.
But when I put new large fish in the tank....well... they don't know this yet...
I seen the aro grab a 6 inch devil and could of easily killed it but he let it go.
Everyone lived and the devil learned who eats first.
Chile/reds are some of the mellowest aros and best looking.
He is now 26 inches long.
I highly recommend them!!!!
Cheers!

Forgot to mention that I had tanning lights in the tank at that time...
tanning is done.
Got it! Will be moving them to a 150 gal very soon so hopefully that will be good enough for a few months before the pond is done. Thanks so much for the advice and beautiful fish!

Apollo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2013
India
Asians can be nasty! I guarantee my RTG would put most jardini to shame when it comes to aggression . "He" was fine until roughly 16" mark then turned mean , he's killed every tank mate raised with him and every fish I've tried to introduce since has been slaughtered , tried every trick in the book , bigger fish (some twice his size) , tiny 1" dithers , new tanks , different setups , different conditions , you name it and he kills everything! Even my Fly River turtle (10-12"ish) had to be removed because the RTG would grab her and thrash her around when she went up for air , he's even bitten me many times .

I'm sure he's on the more extreme side of agresive behaviour but I think most of the more docile aros are either young , stressed or obese and over fed to the point of being to lazy to act natural .

The only tank mates who did "alright" was a dat who had been raised with him and it lasted years , he was too quick, willinh to fight back and when in a fight with the Aro he frequently went "unstable" coloured (all black) and In the big , dimly lit, liquid rubber costed tank he was invisible when showing those colours . That combo kept him alive for a good 5+ years but one day during a water change the RTG found and cornered him while water levels were low and took him out:(. I also had a big pair if 22* endlies who did very well with him , the Aro took out any bichir smaller then them when breaching for air but those big brutes were fine .

I personally would not dare mixing aros without a pond or pond size tank!

I just love it.
Do u have any pics of him ??

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks ! And there's nothing meaner then this guy lol. Even my channa arnt as nasty!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store