Asian Ray breeder recommendations

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Has the cites for Rays come in already?

Would I need to sort out a permit this end to receive them like you do with arowanas?
I'm going thru it right now trying to get the CITES certificates of origin for a shipment of rays coming in from Peru at the end of May. So far it's looking like a real mess. I have people working on it and trying to sort it all out. It's so new that noone knows what to do or who to ask. Very frustrating! From what I gathered so far, the rays have to have the paperwork prior to leaving the country they are coming from. This includes captive bred rays also. Bunch of political bs if you ask me!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Has the cites for Rays come in already?

Would I need to sort out a permit this end to receive them like you do with arowanas?
I'm going thru it right now trying to get the CITES certificates of origin for a shipment of rays coming in from Peru at the end of May. So far it's looking like a real mess. I have people working on it and trying to sort it all out. It's so new that noone knows what to do or who to ask. Very frustrating! From what I gathered so far, the rays have to have the paperwork prior to leaving the country they are coming from. This includes captive bred rays also. Bunch of political bs if you ask me!

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
I tried to tell ya lol...

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I tried to tell ya lol...
Yep...you were right. I'm really glad you spoke up too. You probably saved me a wad of cash man! My import guy was in the dark on it and thought everything was good because they are coming from Peru. Because of you and a couple other guys telling me, I dug a little deeper. Unfortunately it takes 60 days to get the paperwork approved...if they even do it. So far I'm not sure if we'll get it approved in time and might have to wait till the fall order. The worst part is the exporter has tracked down the aparicio rays for me and now we might not be able to get them.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Your welcome. Yea they are likely seasonal, may have to wait until next year. Might not be available in the fall is what I'm getting at. Alot of rarer species like those are only collected certain times of the year. Back when I was ordering regularly I rarely had a chance to snag stuff from Peru. Maybe twice a year if I was lucky.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Yes, that's how we do it too, spring and fall from Peru. We can get a few common Columbian rays right now too with the CITES paperwork all taken care of, but the prices are high. Really more practical to go with captive bred on those. By the time you add up shipping and time spent screwing around with it all, captive bred are about the same price and usually healthier.

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
Yeah this is very true.

I have rays from aqua man already, and know of both the other two, just though it would be exciting to do as well as opposed to just buying. But then again you make a good point, and also if one was to be DOA would probably be a huge hassle to sort out.
Doa wise it's usually refunded via another shipment. It's costly to do and in repairs will be cheaper to go with established retailers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store