Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

ASK FIRST!!!!! (It's that simple)

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by Oddball, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Oddball

Oddball Administrator
      Staff Member

If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
      Nov 15, 2018
      It's only Monday and, so far, today I've had to field a couple of interesting issues that caused major system problems yet, could have been avoided had the folks involved simply asked BEFORE making these problems for themselves.

First; I was asked if taking plants from the local creeks was OK. The plants were already placed into an aquarium before asking this important question. No pics or collection area info was included. I had to ask. Turns out the plants taken are arrowgrass. This plant, when stressed, produces a type of cyanide. Also, the roots were not cleaned nor were the plants placed in a quarantine tank. I guess time will tell whether or not any parasites were introduced into the aquarium.

Second; Someone asked if some colorful sunnies would be OK in their tropical aquarium. An accompanying pic showed some anomalies on the surface of all the fish. The keeper described these anomalies as probably being scales loosened during their capture. I hated having to inform him that he just introduced a half dozen fish heavily infested with argulus (lice) parasites into his tropical 240 gal tank.

I understand the draw of doing something novel to spark up our hobby interests. But, without some basic understanding of the environments being drawn from, the consequences can be disastrous. It's OK to not know. It's not OK to just dive in without any idea of what's possible without doing some basic research or asking questions before proceeding.

And, keep in mind that anything taken from the wild (animals and plants) must be quarantined before introducing it to an established closed system for the simple goal of keeping that system healthy. A lot of keepers drop out of the hobby due to simple mistakes, that could have been avoided, having disastrous effects.

2. PYRU

PYRU Redtail Catfish

51 minutes ago
      Not just the wild anything from a tank you don't personally tend to.

3. ehh

ehh Blue Tier VIP

Dec 19, 2018
      Oh man... I don't miss working at the petstore.

4. rodger

rodger Polypterus

Take a guess
      May 5, 2018
      Intresting tidbit about arrowgrass

5. dogofwar

dogofwar Peacock Bass

Today at 10:00 AM
    6. Hendre

Hendre MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Hendre
      Yesterday at 11:51 PM
      I wouldnt introduce wild organisms. I take the risk with tropical fish if the tank and other tanks are healthy and the fish are alive. If i could afford a quarantine tank i would get one

7. PYRU

PYRU Redtail Catfish

51 minutes ago
      Your playing Russian roulette with your whole ecosystem doing that. I'm just speaking from past experiences

convict360 likes this.
    8. Hendre

Hendre MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Hendre
      Yesterday at 11:51 PM
      My tank ecosystem? I dont move anything from tank to wild or wild to tank

9. Frank Castle

Frank Castle Banned

Eric
      Feb 7, 2017
      Great thread, I think you should give it a Sticky/Pinned .....people making mistakes this thread applies to probably need this information to jump out at them in their face to see it. lol I have been preaching about putting wild-caught anythings in your tanks for several months now and surprisingly enough many MANY members do not understand the importance of quarantining "that sunfish you caught that looks so nice in the tank" or cleaning roots systems and submerging them in a 3:1 peroxide/water solution before adding to a tank or whatever the case may be. Parasites, Fungus, and other pathogens can prove to be incredibly resilient and resistant and may not even show symptoms for weeks after introducing them.

Dee eng and Madou like this.
    10. livelaughlovemyfish

livelaughlovemyfish Feeder Fish

Sep 27, 2017
      Learned this one the hard way!