AT Datnoid Progression Thread

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
I know I have like 4 threads on datnoid section right now, I had different questions at different times, mods you can delete the other threads if you want. I've decided to keep my AT Dat and dedicate a 29G to him. I know it's not an ideal tank size, from what I've learned so far, AT Dats are slowest growing and smallest dats (apparently I'd be lucky to get him to 10 inches after many many years). I want to make a progress thread for him, and occasionally upload pictures for myself and anyone that's interested.

Here he is now at 1 inch, eating bloodworms. He is also an extremely active swimmer, so its very hard to get a photo of him. Kind of weird because in one of King of DIY's recent videos he said dats are like oscars and like sulk or just sit for long periods of time.

Reactions: J. H.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Do dats need company of other dats?

There's a 2 inch polypterus delhezi in there :p
the bichir will grow much faster than the dat, be careful the dat does not become food for the del.....

not sure if they need company but i have fun seeing my dats chasing each other with frog in their mouth especially during feeding time...

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
the bichir will grow much faster than the dat, be careful the dat does not become food for the del.....

not sure if they need company but i have fun seeing my dats chasing each other with frog in their mouth especially during feeding time...
yah my bichir will be moved once it puts on some size. My tank being only 29G, I don't want to add too much fish, also the LFS where I got him only had 1. Another LFS has an IT Dat about 2 inches for 20 bucks, maybe I can get him. I also heard that sometimes more than 1 dat in the same tank can cause some to become unstable?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
yah my bichir will be moved once it puts on some size. My tank being only 29G, I don't want to add too much fish, also the LFS where I got him only had 1. Another LFS has an IT Dat about 2 inches for 20 bucks, maybe I can get him. I also heard that sometimes more than 1 dat in the same tank can cause some to become unstable?
actually i don't understand this stable unstable part... yes some times they look bright some times they are very dark.... but i realise a few things

my tank is half blue and half black lol

1) if background is light they will look very pale
2) mine get dark often
3) Those that hunt for food or show aggression against each other their color will suddenly be bright and clear aka stable

thus i am wondering if stable is really when yellow or when it is black... those most feel that stable is yellow

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Here he is now at 1 inch, eating bloodworms. He is also an extremely active swimmer, so its very hard to get a photo of him. Kind of weird because in one of King of DIY's recent videos he said dats are like oscars and like sulk or just sit for long periods of time.
Nice looking silver dat.It should do well in that tank especially if it does not have to compete with other fish food.A few top swimming dithers would provide a good look.
I have always noticed that most silvers tend to be much more active than other species except for the widebar/pulchers.It is the indo dats that tend to sit and sulk in a corner or lay on their sides for periods of time....unfortunately,none of this seems to affect the lack of popularity of the silver dats.

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Nice looking silver dat.It should do well in that tank especially if it does not have to compete with other fish food.A few top swimming dithers would provide a good look.
I have always noticed that most silvers tend to be much more active than other species except for the widebar/pulchers.It is the indo dats that tend to sit and sulk in a corner or lay on their sides for periods of time....unfortunately,none of this seems to affect the lack of popularity of the silver dats.
Ty, what dithers do you recommend? And by dithers do you mean fish that the dat will eventually eat? I'd prefer not to live feed if possible, I really don't like the idea of using another living being as food. He's already eating bloodworms so I'd rather slowly attempt to transition into pellets instead the other way around with live fish.

Also I know you already addressed this in another thread, but CONSTANTLY my research from reading other people's post about datnoids tell me they are brackish... I'm just going to keep him in freshwater, but any reason for this?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ty, what dithers do you recommend? And by dithers do you mean fish that the dat will eventually eat? I'd prefer not to live feed if possible, I really don't like the idea of using another living being as food. He's already eating bloodworms so I'd rather slowly attempt to transition into pellets instead the other way around with live fish.

Also I know you already addressed this in another thread, but CONSTANTLY my research from reading other people's post about datnoids tell me they are brackish... I'm just going to keep him in freshwater, but any reason for this?
Actually just about any dithers will eventually wind up as food for your dat if they stick around long enough and you don't remove them before that happens.You could get some Australian rainbow fish which should be safe for quite a long time before having to be removed for their safety.....or,you could leave things the way they are with the dat as a "show fish".Dats are solitary fish in the wild,as I understand it so keeping it alone should be perfectly fine.
The brackish issue..I have a few old books that breifly cover dats and in my reading I only recall the silvers as being said to hail from such waters but that is not the end all as even now there is still not a whole lot of available information on these fish but there is plenty of opinion .The other species are said to come from tropical rivers but they may travel into estuarine areas as well.

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Actually just about any dithers will eventually wind up as food for your dat if they stick around long enough and you don't remove them before that happens.You could get some Australian rainbow fish which should be safe for quite a long time before having to be removed for their safety.....or,you could leave things the way they are with the dat as a "show fish".Dats are solitary fish in the wild,as I understand it so keeping it alone should be perfectly fine.
The brackish issue..I have a few old books that breifly cover dats and in my reading I only recall the silvers as being said to hail from such waters but that is not the end all as even now there is still not a whole lot of available information on these fish but there is plenty of opinion .The other species are said to come from tropical rivers but they may travel into estuarine areas as well.
Ya thats what i've read as well, some sites say all dats are partly brackish, some sites say it's specifically the polota (silver) that are brackish. Oh well, either way I'm keeping him in fresh water so...

I'll probably keep him solo for now, don't want to overload the bio in this small tank. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store