AT Datnoid Progression Thread

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ya thats what i've read as well, some sites say all dats are partly brackish, some sites say it's specifically the polota (silver) that are brackish. Oh well, either way I'm keeping him in fresh water so...

I'll probably keep him solo for now, don't want to overload the bio in this small tank. Thanks.
Good plan and as always, glad to help.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Ya thats what i've read as well, some sites say all dats are partly brackish, some sites say it's specifically the polota (silver) that are brackish. Oh well, either way I'm keeping him in fresh water so...

I'll probably keep him solo for now, don't want to overload the bio in this small tank. Thanks.
As far as Silver Datnoids and brackish water is concerned most of my findings show that as age they tend to do better in at least slightly brackish waters. I plan on doing some more in depth research on this some time soon and plan to make a post about it but from what I recall most of the river systems they're found in connect directly to some kind of sea, bay or simply ocean.

A few things about their appearance that stand out to me that are not based in fact but purely observation is the more ridged and almost sharped appearance they have. Compare them with other decent sized brackish species of fish and details like their dorsal spines, more pinches faces and an almost earthy toned color to them (as they age). To me they look more like a fish you would pull out of brackish waters about a mile from the beach opposed to a freshwater river fish. Brackish fish have an odd grittyness appearance to them that freshwater fish don't tend to have in my opinion.

Also, a note about Joey (King of DIY), I watch his videos all the time and have followed him for years back to his how to order fish online and how to build an aquarium stand videos (haven't bought a stand since watching these ones) and all the respect to the King of course. However, I may be wrong but I don't know how much experience he has with Datnoids, he didn't mention Silvers specifically when referring to activity levels and was likely referring to ST and/or IT as they are the most known Datnoids in the hobby. I've wanted him to talk about them for so long and when he brought them up recently in a live stream I got excited then let down as he seemed to have little interest in them. I agree they likely wouldn't be the best fit for his 2000g tank based on the direction he seems to be going with fish that would quickly outgrow Datnoids in most cases and might make them shy away from being seen in the tank unless he got a fairly large specimen which may not be as easy to find in Canada. Regardless, my point was be it lack of personal interest or lack of personal experience and/or research I think Joey knows way more about fish he REALLY loves like freshwater Rays, Arowana, etc than he does about Datnoids. I would really love to get a chance to talk to him in person and get his opinion on Datnoids off camera when he isn't limited to certain topics or time. Again, full respect to the King, he's a big part of me going to another level in the hobby to where I am today.

Also, your Silver is looking very nice. Get him on pellets to up his growth and keep the updates coming in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store