AT vs NTT pros and cons

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I have a baby NTT right now and he’s awesome. Great color and fitting in fine in the community tank (although I do suspect he might have nipped my gourami’s feeler, but can’t pin the blame on him for sure)

i was thinking I should sell him and buy an AT instead, because I like the fact they are the smallest of the dats, and 12” sounds a lot more manageable than the potential 16” NTT.

Other pros and cons of each?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Both AT and NTT are great fish.

AT are highly underrated, and every bit as good. And they can get to 16 inches too, and get fatter than NTT.

But I do not think why you would want to swap one for another. If you have got a good NTT, then keep him.

I doubt that your NTT nipped your gourami's feelers. They are not really nippers, their mouths are not designed for it.

Reactions: spitz006

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good luck growing your NTT to twelve inches let alone sixteen....what do you feed it?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I'm trying to keep fish that all come from the same biogeographical region. There's no real reason I want to do this other than the fun of limiting myself to which species I can choose, and anecdotally the problems I run into with fish compatibility usually involve fish from two different regions. Not always, but I've noticed it a lot.

Anyway, it's kind of a very minor technicality that AT's range into the pink region(western indo-pacific), where I'm setting up my big monster tank with a polleni, freshwater archers, and barbs, and NTT's come strictly from the orangish region (Central Indo-pacific).

Regardless of that dumb reason, I still probably want to do it for the size reason, because I am reading a lot of stuff that AT's only get 12". But if it's true that they do get up to 16" then there's literally no reason for me to switch other than my ridiculous geography project.

1677123794169.png

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Now to find some true green terrors to make a blue (temperate south america) tank :y220d:

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
That's awesome,you have a rare gem and I say keep it instead of getting an AT.
It is possible the vendor got the species wrong, either on accident or on purpose. I will post a pic.

EB170847-9FC0-4FB1-8F26-40495B1DCCA0.png

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
NTT's come strictly from the orangish region (Central Indo-pacific).
Various dats might come from this region, but NTT, though still plentiful come from a very limited range, on part of the Mekhong river that passes the eastern part of Thailand.

In fact the ATs that I have come across, come from only a few hundred kilometres west.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
It’s hard to get dats onto pellets and most can’t ever get NTT to get too large. Most die off at some point before reaching their full size. If yours is eating pellets well, would be a shame to get rid of it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store