AT vs NTT pros and cons

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Various dats might come from this region, but NTT, though still plentiful come from a very limited range, on part of the Mekhong river that passes the eastern part of Thailand.

In fact the ATs that I have come across, come from only a few hundred kilometres west.
Yeah NTT strictly in orange. AT in both.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
The Mekong where NTT lives flows into that weird Australasian area down there with Sumatra being a total border from the main Indian Ocean so a lot of models do specifically put the separation line there. But there are many models include the whole orient from India to Borneo as one region. Some of them use things like species endemicity to determine logical faunal realms.

perhaps it’s the brackish tolerance of the AT that has allowed it to spread out further. Probably the same and doubly so for the NGT. Just assuming.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
perhaps it’s the brackish tolerance of the AT that has allowed it to spread out further. Probably the same and doubly so for the NGT. Just assuming.
Another thing I am not sure about. Although I have never been to New Guinea.

Everywhere that I have seen dats caught has been most definitely freshwater, including AT. I am quite sure that NGT are freshwater too. I think it is just an often a repeated myth that various dats are brackish.

This picture c/o where I got my last order of 20 NTT:

1677141226538.png

Reactions: spitz006

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Have you been to Bangladesh? I have never left North America sadly. I do trust the data and logic that AT and NTT are often found both in light brackish and full fresh, but I would agree datnioides aren’t really brackish fish and don’t need salt.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Have you been to Bangladesh? I have never left North America sadly. I do trust the data and logic that AT and NTT are often found both in light brackish and full fresh, but I would agree datnioides aren’t really brackish fish and don’t need salt.
No. Well, for a few hours at the airport.

I am sure there are large parts of coastal Bangladesh that are brackish. I don't know if AT are found there. It is possible, although all the AT that I have seen and heard about come from freshwater parts of Thailand and Burma.

NTT are never found in light brackish. They only come from the Mekhong, about four hundred kilometres inland.

ST (when they existed) also came from the central regions of Thailand, without a hint of brack.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
No. Well, for a few hours at the airport.

I am sure there are large parts of coastal Bangladesh that are brackish. I don't know if AT are found there. It is possible, although all the AT that I have seen and heard about come from freshwater parts of Thailand and Burma.

NTT are never found in light brackish. They only come from the Mekhong, about four hundred kilometres inland.

ST (when they existed) also came from the central regions of Thailand, without a hint of brack.
I meant NGT, typo sorry. I know NTT are strictly in upper Mekong.

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
It is difficult to know about NGT. New Guinea is a big lush island with mountains, rivers, and no doubt much coastal waterway. All the reports of NGT being brackish seem to come from websites that show no details on their origin, and I am sure the website owners are most unlikely to have been there.

I maintain my opinion, that all dats are strictly freshwater.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It is possible the vendor got the species wrong, either on accident or on purpose. I will post a pic.

View attachment 1513561
That very much appears to be the real deal!
It’s hard to get dats onto pellets and most can’t ever get NTT to get too large. Most die off at some point before reaching their full size. If yours is eating pellets well, would be a shame to get rid of it
Absolutely,in all my years of dat keeping I don't recall ever getting a NTT onto pellets.... big ones are rare but their beauty is second only to the pulchers.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
That very much appears to be the real deal!

Absolutely,in all my years of dat keeping I don't recall ever getting a NTT onto pellets.... big ones are rare but their beauty is second only to the pulchers.
Wow. Well it came from wetspot in Oregon for $45 if anyone is wondering. I don’t know if it was already pellet trained on arrival or it learned quickly from watching the other oddballs eat pellets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store