Average size

erpethoichthys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2018
I would like to know the average size of male and female yellow labidochromis. I just bought an albino one. Thanks.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I've never had a Yellow Lab grow larger than four inches. I've read where some males grow to nearly six inches.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Most seem to grow 31/2 to 4 inches, seen a few hit 5 but never recalled any 6 inchers.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Typical length in the wild is 2 1/2" for females, and 3 1/2 inches for males. My tank raised specimens matched those sizes. I never had any that were 4-5", but I was careful as to what and how much I fed them. The largest that I have ever seen were approx. 6", but they were obese and grotesque looking. I posted some pics of wild caught specimens that a friend of mine caught, and set up in a display tank while working at Lake Malawi in the following past discussion.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ht-labidochromis-caeruleus-lions-cove.701047/

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
There are no fishing world record sizes kept for Malawi mbuna.
Like most fishes in captivity, typical and/or average sizes are larger then typical or average size in the wild. For what ever reason, exceptional or even world record size, is often confused or not distinguished from average or typical. For example, lot's of collections of JD in the wild show fish around 4". This size is easily exceeded in captivity. From what I understand, 7-8" is often a common size for Parachromis manageunsis in some places in the wild. Again, your typical specimen in captivity will easily exceed this size. World record is 28" (caught with other methods then rod and reel); a size that you will likely never see even in the largest public aquaria, though your average specimen is still larger in captivity then an average specimen in the wild. When it comes to sport fish, fish in captivity get compared to exceptional trophy specimens. Only Malawi mbuna are considered "overgrown" in captivity because we have lot's of info and footage on typical average specimens, but no fishing records for exceptional trophy specimens.
IME, 5" is fairly typical size for an adult male electric yellow in captivity. What the world record size in the wild for an electric yellow is, I don't know. There isn't much documentation as it is not a sought after sport fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Did someone ask about world record sizes? lol

Like most fishes in captivity, typical and/or average sizes are larger then typical or average size in the wild.
Agreed.

Unfortunately what's typical, is that most hobbyists overfeed their fish, typically with foods that are higher in protein and fat than a wild fish would typically ever see on a daily basis, in the wild. I have bred and raised a LOT of L. caeruleus over the years, both line bred over many generations, as well as F1, offspring from my friends WC group that he collected in Malawi. IMO 5" should not be a typical size, for a male fish that in the wild is typically 3 1/2". But that's just my personal opinion.

I used to tease a local breeder about his labs, they were a beautiful German line bred strain, but overall fairly large, with females in the 5" range. His line to me always was "I Feed to Breed". lol I'll never for get that, but I raised offspring of his as well, and by controlling the diet I kept his labs the same size as the rest of mine over the years. I guess it's a personal thing, no right or wrong way, I'm just not into power feeding.

My friend who spent 6 months working for the late Stuart Grant at Malawi told me that he was shocked at how small the fish in the lake were, until he realized that he was guilty of the same thing with his fish at home, overfeeding nutrient dense food. He said he barely recognized many species due to the size difference.

Kyle is also the only white person that I know of that has collected as many yellow labs in Lion's Cove, or anywhere else on the lake for that matter - collecting over 100 in a single day. If he says that in the wild they average 2 1/2" - 3 1/2" , then I reckon that is the true average size for this species, in the wild.

Reactions: The Morning

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I should add, Kyle did not personally collect all 100+ yellow labs in a single day, he was working with a team of divers from Stuart's facility. :) This was back when a WC yellow lab was fetching $100-150 US, and people were paying those prices, so it made it worth the effort of collecting them. Stuart had not bothered in many years, because labs in that location (Lion's Cove) are on average found at depths of 75 ft or more. To add to this story, on day 1 they collected approx. 100 labs, and left the basket of fish at a certain depth so as not to cause decompression issues. When they returned the next day the basket, and fish were gone. Ouch. So they set up again, and caught 100+ more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store