Average size

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A friend of mine had an @ 6" alpha male yellow lab in his breeding colony, it was (as suggested above) a bit grossly shaped.
Although most JDs do average only 4" to 5" in nature I have seen large JDs (Almost 10")these held large territories at very deep areas of Cenotes, and in the same depths were large, blue mollies 7-8", larger than I've ever seen in aquariums. I attribute this large size to being able to evade predation from birds, especially if they make it beyond the 4-5" stage and command coveted territories at greater depths, the birds don't bother with.

In Cenote Azul, Mayaheros uropthalmus averages @ 7 " to 9" but the most alpha male individuals (those @ 15") owned caves at depths below 20 ft and kept all but receptive females away. They would occasionally break the surface to feed on stranded locusts, and were very impressive, but disappeared into their holes in a flash.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
RD I truly enjoy your posts and the knowledge of cichlids is amazing. I guess I am one of those overfeeders as my labs are larger.
When you were feeding yours was it just less frequently? I feed once a day NLS pellets

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When I was keeping them years ago I fed NLS 1mm cichlid exclusively, but sparingly. (once a day for semi adults, and adults) The fry got the Grow formula twice a day. I just recently got a group of 10 juvenile L. caeruleus "Ruarwe" and I have to admit that I have probably been feeding them on the heavy side. They have settled in nicely now, so time to start practicing what I preach and reducing nutrient levels. A very common species, but still one of my favorites, always actively zooming around, fairly peaceful, and color that equals most marine species. What's not to like? :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Are most Mbuna similar in average size. I assume you are keeping species specific tanks. Mine are not so I can’t confirm that the yellow fish I have are pure, I would imagine they are not. Wondering if that could also contribute to larger sizes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No, they are most definitely not, some are much larger than the Labidochromis genus.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I have kept yellow labs for many years but do not have any at the moment. I agree with what RD is saying. I have seen many species of tropical fish that are over fed but for some reason, seeing a yellow lab out of proportion seems the worst to me. Maybe it is because I had them for so many years and know what they should typically look like. If I see one in a store or someone's home out of proportion, I have to look away!
I don't see fat ones in stores as much as I think they sell them often before overfeeding sets in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store