Baby arowana (3-4") not eating

NickGalante05

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2023
I recently got a baby black arowana in maybe 4 days ago? and I have him in a 20 gallon long because I feel like my 300 gallon is too big, and has bigger fish that could eat him , anyways, I've tried feeding blood worms, brine shrimp, live meal worms , baby guppies, flakes and pellets, and nothing seems to be getting him to eat, I have noticed his tail is slightly bent , I was thinking due to stress from shipping and being moved into another tank, I currently have a UNS filter in the tank , a heater set to about 78 degrees F , and was wondering if this is normal for a wild caught baby arowana to barely be eating in his new tank? also i would love for him to start eating so any idea on how to do this?

Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
patience and clean water,

maybe a larger tank too

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I don't have any particular suggestions but have had several arowana over the last 40 years or so. My experience has been that they're delicate while they're young and need more attention than you might expect. Sometimes live feeders make it a little easier and sometimes worms but the best bet is to buy one that your LFS has already converted to pellets.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
normal for a wild caught baby arowana to barely be eating in his new tank?
Welcome aboard
Yes normal and great that you put the little Black Arowana in the 20 gallon. I suggest floating freeze dried foods first like freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried mysis shrimp. Agree with Trouser Bark Trouser Bark about Arowana being fragile at that size.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently got a baby black arowana in maybe 4 days ago? and I have him in a 20 gallon long because I feel like my 300 gallon is too big, and has bigger fish that could eat him , anyways, I've tried feeding blood worms, brine shrimp, live meal worms , baby guppies, flakes and pellets, and nothing seems to be getting him to eat, I have noticed his tail is slightly bent , I was thinking due to stress from shipping and being moved into another tank, I currently have a UNS filter in the tank , a heater set to about 78 degrees F , and was wondering if this is normal for a wild caught baby arowana to barely be eating in his new tank? also i would love for him to start eating so any idea on how to do this?
Did you notice a egg sac when you purchased the little black arowana?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No tankmates or dithers, no or very little current (use a mature cycled sponge filter), some floating plants for security, no excessively bright lighting, ideally some substrate other than bare reflective glass. Covered tank to maintain warmth and humidity in the air. Floating foods; they don't want to go deep for food. A lowered water level, maybe a half-full tank, helps with this. Minimize disturbances.

Freeze-dried foods work better if they are pre-soaked to soften them up. Baby guppies if nothing else works, but probably not needed.

Earthworms cut into appropriate short pieces are great, but go to a fishing tackle shop and buy a Worm Inflator; it's just a squeeze bulb with an hypodermic needle on it that makes it easy to inject a tiny amount of air into a piece of food to keep it on the surface.

They are fragile and flighty at first, but within a couple weeks they settle in, eat ravenously and grow like weeds.

NickGalante05

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2023
No tankmates or dithers, no or very little current (use a mature cycled sponge filter), some floating plants for security, no excessively bright lighting, ideally some substrate other than bare reflective glass. Covered tank to maintain warmth and humidity in the air. Floating foods; they don't want to go deep for food. A lowered water level, maybe a half-full tank, helps with this. Minimize disturbances.

Freeze-dried foods work better if they are pre-soaked to soften them up. Baby guppies if nothing else works, but probably not needed.

Earthworms cut into appropriate short pieces are great, but go to a fishing tackle shop and buy a Worm Inflator; it's just a squeeze bulb with an hypodermic needle on it that makes it easy to inject a tiny amount of air into a piece of food to keep it on the surface.

They are fragile and flighty at first, but within a couple weeks they settle in, eat ravenously and grow like weeds.
okay got it! i will lower tank level, put some floating plants in , and some substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store