Baby Datnoid already eating pellets

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Perhaps the trick is to start them out young, I don't know, but I'm happy to report my new 3" baby NTT is eating pellets after less than 2 days in his new home (8' Aro tank). At the LFS he had eaten blood worms only.

I had first dropped some pellets (Hikari Sinking Carnivore) behind the sponge filter he likes to hide behind when I open the tank lid.

I didn't see him eat the pellets but 30 min. later I checked and they were gone (and the Flagtail doesn't go back there). I didn't get that on video but the next day (yesterday) I put out more HSC around the filter and it wasn't too long before he started munching away.

Except for hiding when I open the lids -- which he's getting better about every day; any other time he's usually cruising around the tank, 'hunting' detritus worms, which I've seen him feeding on sometimes since put in the tank -- he's otherwise been very stable, no coloring down or blackening whatsoever.

Of course there's always things like possibility of disease/parasites, SDS or in his case SADS (Sudden Arowana Death Syndrome: my Aro is mostly tolerating him but doesn't seem to overly like him much (he likes swimming around her, cheeky b*stard as you can see in another video I just made), and sometimes she gets kinda pissed off and tries to give him a good whack when she wants some space.

Overall I feel pretty lucky with this little guy so far, not bad for a $15 find -- though pity the muddled up tail markings :D.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thanks guys, he's fully come out now and doesn't hide behind the filter during feeding time, he happily munches on pellets anytime I put them in the tank -- but so far he really only seems to like Sinking Carnivore and spits out or just ignores Hikari Sinking Wafers, Ocean Marine sinking pellets and any floating pellets (which is just as good, as that's where the Aro feeds).

I'm wondering if his quick acceptance of pellets (and I certainly didn't starve him) might be due to water temperature...I live on a tropical island in southern Thailand, not far from the equator and my room / tank temperatures (like everyone elses tanks here) are a pretty consistent 82°F-86°F day in day out, even at night. The usual recommended temperature range for Datnoids according to most every website I've seen is 72°F to 79°F.

So the higher temps would naturally translate into a higher metabolism rate (which might also explain why he is very active and quite outgoing for his age).

Not sure about this but out of curiosity would be interested to know what temperature others keep their Datnoid tanks.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
I keep my 135g at 80 here on The Oregon Coast, always a little cooler here and my Uarus like it a little warmer. I found a led dimmer switch on eBay that lets me keep the tank at a nice dim settings that they all have gotten use to , so not much hiding

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store