Baby Flathead Catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, just like on your yellow bh. There are no "lower" barbels or "lower lower" barbels :) There are only three kinds I listed in the prior post and their names are based on which part of head they grow out of. If you use the right terminology, it will save you (and others) time and angst. Sorry to sound like a teacher, I am only trying to help. You can disregard my post.

Tigerboy3382

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2023
Yes, just like on your yellow bh. There are no "lower" barbels or "lower lower" barbels :) There are only three kinds I listed in the prior post and their names are based on which part of head they grow out of. If you use the right terminology, it will save you (and others) time and angst. Sorry to sound like a teacher, I am only trying to help. You can disregard my post.
So I have a bullhead that looks lighter in color but the others are more black in color with white bellies....so which species of bullhead do I have? They are still young and about 3 inches in length

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
BBH (and I agree) proposes yellow. Need a clear shot of mandibular (chin) barbels to make 100% sure.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No other bulhead has light colored chin barbels but yellow. So yours are yellow, no question then. The base body color and the tummy color are not reliable traits and are not used in the species ID - yellow, brown, black are "very soft" common names; their base colors can be very close or even reversed based on their environment. As BBH said, the shape of anal and caudal fins are also indicative of yours being yellow. BBH is an expert, he knows what he is talking about.

Tigerboy3382

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2023
No other bulhead has light colored chin barbels but yellow. So yours are yellow, no question then. The base body color and the tummy color are not reliable traits and are not used in the species ID - yellow, brown, black are "very soft" common names; their base colors can be very close or even reversed based on their environment. As BBH said, the shape of anal and caudal fins are also indicative of yours being yellow. BBH is an expert, he knows what he is talking about.
Oh wow. I kept thinking due to their black body color that they were Black Bullheads but knowing this information is very helpful!! Thank you so much!!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store