Baby Oscars Keep Dying

Terta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2016
So I'm on my 3 pair of baby Oscars that have passed way
When I find them they die the same night and there mouths are wide open like they gasped for last breathe
They eat for first 2-3 days I have them and then not after that
They only live 4-5 days
I have absolutely no idea why Oscars die but all my other fish live
This is my 36 g grow out (baby tank)
I had 3 clown loaches (but I thought they stung the Oscars one night so they got rehomed)
2 baby albino bichirs (guarantee they are no problem)

Nutrafin water test kit
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 7.8
Nitrites none

Tank has been running for months. Lots of fish lived in tank. No one was ever sick or treated in tank.

2 batches of Oscars came from one supplier another batch came from different supplier

Please give me ideas

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What were you feeding the Oscar's? Did you notice any skinnyness of the Oscar's when you purchased them, was there any white fecal matter. I'm asking these questions because some of them could have been wild caught and carried parasites.

Reactions: Deansy

Terta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ummm. Not that I can recall. I did wonder about the first set. They were VERY skinny and didn't eat from beginning.
I'm in Canada, u think our lfs would wild caught. I'm kinda wondering(doubt)

K let's say I brought home parasite, 5 days and each fish is dead. exact same night? I never know them to "gasp" dieing from a parasite really

Terta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2016
His gills look like BAD

But they did not gasp at 11pm when I said goodnight to them

Other than quiting eating, they were not gasping or anything

(yes my tank has lots of air. 1 big bubbler and his filter)

received_481637842043542.jpeg

SoTotallyMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2015
So I'm on my 3 pair of baby Oscars that have passed way
When I find them they die the same night and there mouths are wide open like they gasped for last breathe
They eat for first 2-3 days I have them and then not after that
They only live 4-5 days
I have absolutely no idea why Oscars die but all my other fish live
This is my 36 g grow out (baby tank)
I had 3 clown loaches (but I thought they stung the Oscars one night so they got rehomed)
2 baby albino bichirs (guarantee they are no problem)

Nutrafin water test kit
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 7.8
Nitrites none

Tank has been running for months. Lots of fish lived in tank. No one was ever sick or treated in tank.

2 batches of Oscars came from one supplier another batch came from different supplier

Please give me ideas
The symptoms point to asphyxiation. You may have enough oxygen in the tank but a smaller tank is difficult to keep in tact. Chlorine in water can also point to this sort of death and also asphyxiation.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The symptoms point to asphyxiation. You may have enough oxygen in the tank but a smaller tank is difficult to keep in tact. Chlorine in water can also point to this sort of death and also asphyxiation.
So it was just enough oxygen for the CL's, I would have never figured that was the case.

SoTotallyMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2015
So it was just enough oxygen for the CL's, I would have never figured that was the case.
This is possibly the case but make sure there is no chlorine. And declorinator your water with every water change. There may also be other aspects that are depriving your fish of oxygen

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
This is possibly the case but make sure there is no chlorine. And declorinator your water with every water change. There may also be other aspects that are depriving your fish of oxygen
the clown loaches would have died far before the Oscars if it was chlorine poisoning.

the polys wouldn't be fine either.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Try a different supplier again. It might be aeration or chemicals, or it might be the fact that Oscars for the most part are treated like crap by mass breeders, I've found it rare to get Oscars which are visibly very healthy at a young age

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store