Back again with the steel framed 400g, started removing old silicone to reseal and found some odd design choices, potential issues?

slimey_frog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2022
So the grand saga of this tank continues. I worked up the nerve to start removing the silicone to fix this damn thing, but I've run into a few odd design choices that have me worried I might have bitten off more than I can chew, so I thought It'd be worth asking about.

1: The bottom of the tank isn't one solid piece of glass, its comprised of 3 panels that are joined side by side with silicone, and supported underneath by metal crossbeams in the tanks frame (its 10mm thick, approx 60mm wide). Am I going to have to scrape out the silicone inbetween these joints or will I be fine with just cleaning the top and running new beads along like that?.

2: I've discovered that the panels of the tank don't actually join at the corners, the connection instead seems to involve the walls of the tank having bevelled edges and another glass rod running up the height of the tank, with the whole thing just being filled with silicone. Problem is I can't get around the sides and back of the rod to remove all the old silicone, is what I've removed from the ends of the panels themselves going to be enough to form a new seal?

3: just a weird one that im not worried about, but in the bottom front left corner of the tank along the side and 1/3 of the front (so one bottom panel) there are these glass rods that are held within the seams. I'm not sure what they're for considering that they aren't in another of place along the bottom of the tank that I can see.

v74WBsq.jpeg

l6R06k9.jpeg

IGEI9Cz.jpeg

68hBwzy.jpeg

AXGYXGw.jpeg

sIzxisN.jpeg

ADawson23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Midwest,Missouri
I replied to the original post check that out. Also make sure when removing the old silicon try not to damage or cut into the seam. If this happens you may run the risk of having to break the whole tank apart and rebuilding the whole thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store