Barebones VS. Substrate(rocks/gravel)

Barebones or Substrate(rocks/gravel)

• Total voters

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Without taking into the consideration of the plans to keep fish that ABSOLUTELY NEED the substrate as part of their lifestyle, then barebottom is the best way to go. The likes of goldfish, discus, angelfish and several others that dwell the surface and middle strata without bothering the substrate much do not need them however for aesthetic reasons, some people do keep them in substrate-filled tanks. I've doing barebottom for goldfish and BN plecos to keep maintenance easy for me as both are heavy poop contributors. Works well for me. I wasn't used to barebottom setups before and had to take my time to adjust to the barren looks. Perhaps, barren is not really the word to describe my setups. I still keep plants in clay pots for water quality and aesthetic purposes.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
You bare-bottom-guys (no pun intended) are too focused on solid water removal as the main reason. Keep in mine that there is plenty of toxicity from respiration and urine. Gravel/sand plays a large part in neutralizing the waste and generally provides tank stability.

And as often stated; those who are so concerned about solid waste laying on the bottom have less concern when the same waste sits in a filter for a month or more.

Let's not forget about the fish (the main players in all this). Bare-bottom is not natural; it's putting the fish keeper's satisfaction over the occupants satisfaction. I had a BB tank for a short period just to try it out. When I had enough, I gradually added sand into the tank over a period of a few days. As soon as I added the first batch, within an hour, most all of the fish had moved over to the sand.

Something is not right with those babe-bottom-guys....lol.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
vfc;4900594; said:
Let's not forget about the fish (the main players in all this). Bare-bottom is not natural; it's putting the fish keeper's satisfaction over the occupants satisfaction. I had a BB tank for a short period just to try it out. When I had enough, I gradually added sand into the tank over a period of a few days. As soon as I added the first batch, within an hour, most all of the fish had moved over to the sand.

Something is not right with those babe-bottom-guys....lol.
And keeping fish in glass boxes isn't natural either. Everything here comes based on personal preference while still putting the fish's needs on top consideration.;)

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Black gravel is the only way to go for me. Y'ALL can keep your aquaclear filter unfriendly sand and creepy super light infested bare bottum tanks.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Lupin;4900599; said:
And keeping fish in glass boxes isn't natural either. Everything here comes based on personal preference while still putting the fish's needs on top consideration.;)
It all boils down to how much toxin is leeched from the feces/left over food befor being syphoned out, compared to how beneficial a substrate is at breaking down these toxins. Many toxins are in the fishs urine which bare bottom doesnt help.

I dont have the scientific backround to conduct this type of research, until somebody does, ruling is, personal preference, with most preferring the look of gravel.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Going for sand from now on for denitrification. As for impeller damage, I will have short intakes and use prefilter sponges which should stop most of the particulates. Turds are removed by siphon. I am doing this in my 5g and my nitrates are at 5ppm or lower no matter what. I can't afford not to take advantage of these anaerobic denitrifyers in future plans. Well, future plans that don't include digging fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store