Barramundi growth rate?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Last two week, I've purchased two 3.5" barramundi from my lfs. One of them have an explosive growth. It grow astonishingly 1" a week. Currently 6" while the other one have slower growth rate, currently 4".

Is it normal for them have this kind of growth? What's their growth rate?

Barraboy21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Last two week, I've purchased two 3.5" barramundi from my lfs. One of them have an explosive growth. It grow astonishingly 1" a week. Currently 6" while the other one have slower growth rate, currently 4".

Is it normal for them have this kind of growth? What's their growth rate?
Barra grow super fast if your keeping up the food. I couldn't say ive seen them grow an inch a week but maybe close when they are very young. Ive kept multiple barra together and there always seems to be a more dominant fish who will get that little bit of extra food and out grow his mates. Growth should start to slow down after his first year

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I just got back from a week outstation. It surprises me that he outgrew my 6" rtcXtsn cat. That's how I know he grew an inch longer.

I bought around 30-40 goldfish a day and thrown all of em in the tank because I know the next morning, the tank will be empty. Never had this kind of fish before, really gives me the goosebumps.

Barraboy21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
I just got back from a week outstation. It surprises me that he outgrew my 6" rtcXtsn cat. That's how I know he grew an inch longer.

I bought around 30-40 goldfish a day and thrown all of em in the tank because I know the next morning, the tank will be empty. Never had this kind of fish before, really gives me the goosebumps.
Yeah they are super greedy, when it comes to feeding they don't seem to have an off switch. Ive had mine eat until he was sick and vomit all the fish he just ate back up. Awesome fish though and they become so tame and friendly!

aussiemonsters

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2009
Australia
2'' to 2' in a year, 2'6" if you have room and enough food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store