Barred Midas

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The one I posted , Amarillo is from Lake Xiloá.
The Chancho , Lake Apoyo
Flaveolus also Lake Apoyo, below a flaveolus I had

Youngster above, older below, they can be barred or not

Saggitae, lake Xiloa
Supercilious Lake Apoyo
Zaliosum Lake Apoyo
So as you can see, even knowing the lake, in order to find out which species for sure is difficult.
You'd need a DNA test, and then that lab would have to be equipped with an up to date taxonomic key of Nicaraguan species variations to know for sure, that still, a needle in a .....
In the end, it is probably one of the barred midas. Only time will tell, but never knowing which species is the reality.

Reactions: beau1990

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks duanes like you input as always. As long as it is a healthy midas with personality I will be happy. Lost my trimac awhile back and really enjoyed that fish. Had it a yr and half and got a swim bladder issue I treated him for a month but slowly got worse. Thanks again will keep posting pics as this fish grows a bit.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Nice looking good
He’s got another 6 months growth on him now... probably 10 inches. He just wont stay still for a good photo. Full of attitude. The bars aren’t as pronounced as they were but come out when he’s mad sometimes. I f8nd that at the 10-12 month stage they start showing their personalities (big cichlids in general) and are way better wet pets than juveniles.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Not wanting to Hijack the thread just wanted to post an example of what Rapps was last selling for bared Midas F1

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
No thanks I would like to see more. I had a trimac that was a year old and was 10.5 inches long. Just lost him and I thought I would give this fish a chance. Its life at the pet store wasn't to great. I will get a better picture tonight. Its changed a little alot fatter anyway.

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Hoping it's a Male time will tell I guess I have my doubts about this one tho. If I were to take a guess now I would say female.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
I don’t know what it is but it’s a really cool looking fish. Those good looking reds and blue speckles... i’ve Never scene them on an amph. Good work on the rescue, I would be happy to watch him/her become whatever cichlids beast it will become. :clap

He really won’t stay still for a pic.Whenever i’m around my Midas is either running back and forth along the tank, begging for food or show8ng me aggression like this. A screen grab from a video:

E13F2084-B7DD-40A1-8313-E9709AF13796.jpeg

4F0671D7-9556-4397-B305-EC38869ABFF8.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store