Basement Fish Room and Water Changes

Mattports

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2020
Hi all I have 4 fish tanks in my basement and for water changes/cleaning I have been dumping the water in the sump pump out of pure laziness. Today I went down and the it smelled like rotten eggs in the sump pump and figured either dead snails or built up detritus from the cleaning. I’m going to clean it and update this post but I was wondering how others have been doing big water changes from a basement without lugging 6 5galllon buckets upstairs. I‘m assuming a pump setup somehow but some ideas to get the ball rolling would be greatly appreciated!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Link to my fish room below. I have dedicated floor drains. I would continue using the sump pump but would try running freshwater after to rinse out the sump.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I did the sump pit thing for awhile, never had a problem but just didn't feel comfortable with it long term. I now have a cheapo submersible utility pump that sits in a 50-gallon plastic bin into which I drain my waste water. The pump has a dedicated hose that runs the length of the basement and exits through a drilled hole in my foundation right next to the spot where the sump pump drain exits as well. Outside, both lines simply terminate in 90-degree elbows facing down, pointing into a basin from which a length of Big O drain pipe runs buried just flush with the soil surface, across the mowed yard and into the adjacent field.

This outdoor arrangement is easy to maintain during the winter months when this entire section of the planet freezes solid. :) The outdoor elbows must be capped with screen mesh covers to prevent every rodent in the vicinity from trying to get into those nice warm pipes during the winter.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
The one thing you have to watch for is a P-trap. It is essentially the seal that prevents odors and fumes from creeping out of a pipe that connects to the sewer/septic. If you have a floor drain in your basement that will have a p-trap and could surely take a garden hose attached to a pump moving water out of the tanks. Look at how your water heater is plumbed to drain as well as your HVAC system. Unless you're on geothermal.

The reason for the sump pit odor is because you do not have a steady flow of water around your foundation to dilute and flush the fish tank water away.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I have tanks in my basement and use my sump pump pit as well. Never have had any smells from it. But of course I'm almost doing a water change daily on one of the tanks though.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I used I similar system at my old house. Never had an issue with smell. We had a high water table though so sump would kick on a few time a day essentially flushing it clean. So after your water change flush it with fresh water a time or two.
For summer time I eventually ran a pipe out to the gardens and used a pump in a bin to send that water change water out to all the happy plants. Like above I found out pretty quick need to cap those so they are 1 way only.

Reactions: tlindsey

Mattports

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2020
So I mostly cleaned the sump, bunch of gravel and detritus at the bottom also flush it with some water. 55 gallon bucket with a pump going out the window might be the easiest way until I can figure out how to put in a main output to the street or even to the garden. Next question is how powerful of a pump do I need to get the water out of a 6ft high window/out to the street? I’ve tried it with a small pump and obviously didn’t work ?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The bigger the pump, the faster it'll work. You don't need a certified-fish-safe continuous-duty pump designed for aquarium use; a simple submersible utility pump available at the hardware store will work perfectly. They have threaded nozzles for use with standard garden hoses, pump a ton of water and are very handy to have around for other purposes as well; pumping out flooded yards or basements, removing snowmelt, temporary back-ups or supplements for your sump pump, etc.

The sump pump in your sump pit has, like any other mechanical device, a limited finite lifespan. Using a utility pump for your water changes will, at the very least, extend the useful life of your sump pump. I have firsthand experience with a flooded basement, unrelated to aquariums. I will never be without at least one back-up utility pump on hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store