Bass Doctor In The House?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Over the past two weeks I’ve noticed one of my bass has been becoming progressively more lethargic. He started just eating slightly less than normal at feedings then got to just a few pieces of tilapia every feeding. Today he completely passed up on food though noticeably interested at feeding time. He has not lost too much mass during this time but compared to his tank mate he is definitely not as beefy any longer. Today I also noticed finally some white, kind of “fuzzy” looking poop strings floating around before being sucked into the filter.
Other than being a bit leaner than my other brokopondo, he looks and acts fine as far as I’ve seen but I’m worried he might have a protozoan or tapeworm infection and wanted to get thoughts on treatments. I’ve already been using salt for the last 3 days. Based on his symptoms what do you guys think he could have? I added and removed 2 fish from a LFS to that tank in the last month so it’s possible something hitchhiked in but I wanted to home in on what it is and what to use whether it be prazipro, cupramine, Paraguard, or whatever else I have in my med stocks.

here is a picture of the lethargic broko as of today:
6B814D04-F032-4FE8-AAA7-E44EC69D1F27.jpeg
Not too bad, but compared to my other
big broko you can see the difference in bulk.
0958794A-6E4F-4819-ABC2-27A77EAD630A.jpeg
heres the best pic I could get of the feces before it got sucked into the filter
E4CE1A4C-C542-4865-B3AA-00F598979DBE.jpegAny help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Reactions: Tony A. and dr exum

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try and feed some hex shield or mix the food with metronidazole. Dose some levamisole x3. That should cover you for ip and nematodes.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Since he's not eating, I would try API General Cure in the water first to see if it's enough to kick start his eating, and then hex shield. Worst case, you could force feed Clear which is used on flowerhorns. There's a lot of youtube links on force feeding the Clear medication and water mix with a syringe. It looks like it's metronidazole and some sort of antibiotic (oxytetracycline?) mix.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I’d try and feed some hex shield or mix the food with metronidazole. Dose some levamisole x3. That should cover you for ip and nematodes.
Since he's not eating, I would try API General Cure in the water first to see if it's enough to kick start his eating, and then hex shield. Worst case, you could force feed Clear which is used on flowerhorns. There's a lot of youtube links on force feeding the Clear medication and water mix with a syringe. It looks like it's metronidazole and some sort of antibiotic (oxytetracycline?) mix.
Agreed API general cure has prazi and metro in it and it won’t damage your beneficial bacteria. Levamisole is very good. If your going to dose prazi by itself I would do it for 3 weeks or 3 doses due to the life cycle of internal parasite prazi does not work when the parasite is in the egg stage. Good luck.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Thank you everyone for all the help

Reactions: Tony A. and dr exum

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
Over the past two weeks I’ve noticed one of my bass has been becoming progressively more lethargic. He started just eating slightly less than normal at feedings then got to just a few pieces of tilapia every feeding. Today he completely passed up on food though noticeably interested at feeding time. He has not lost too much mass during this time but compared to his tank mate he is definitely not as beefy any longer. Today I also noticed finally some white, kind of “fuzzy” looking poop strings floating around before being sucked into the filter.
Other than being a bit leaner than my other brokopondo, he looks and acts fine as far as I’ve seen but I’m worried he might have a protozoan or tapeworm infection and wanted to get thoughts on treatments. I’ve already been using salt for the last 3 days. Based on his symptoms what do you guys think he could have? I added and removed 2 fish from a LFS to that tank in the last month so it’s possible something hitchhiked in but I wanted to home in on what it is and what to use whether it be prazipro, cupramine, Paraguard, or whatever else I have in my med stocks.

here is a picture of the lethargic broko as of today:
View attachment 1437544
Not too bad, but compared to my other
big broko you can see the difference in bulk.
View attachment 1437543
heres the best pic I could get of the feces before it got sucked into the filter
View attachment 1437545Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Holy ****. Nice brokos

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Since I can't find any API general cure in bulk that isn't $300, I purchased some more Prazipro as well as 3 weeks worth of Metroplex. Keeping the water salted and clean in the meantime. Pretty confident He'll pull through but fingers still crossed no surprises pop up

Reactions: Tony A.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store