Bass yawning and flashing

Bassiperch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2020
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Cliffs: had a LMB - he started yawning more and more
- got flukes - treated and released
- new bass , same thing ..

Hi folks, this is my new account had an old one but forgot everything since its from 10 years ago.

I live in Germany and finally managed to get a Largemouth Bass.
I have no experience in keeping bass but I used to keep redfin Perch of all sizes.

Now i‘ve noticed that my bass is starting to yawn and stretch/bend. I‘ve seen the yawning with perche but not as often and no stretching bending. He also 'coughs' and sometimes flashes slightly.

Has anyone experienced this and is this normal ? Especially the stretching and bending of his Spine , I am afraid it’s a parasite but i‘ve Only fed him frozen fish.

He is 1,5 inches btw ?image.jpg

Bassiperch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2020
Yeah the yawning isn’t the problem but after the yawn he bends and stretches weirdly idk, My old bass did this and he got flukes.

Has anyone ever successfully treated parasites on bass ?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yeah the yawning isn’t the problem but after the yawn he bends and stretches weirdly idk, My old bass did this and he got flukes.

Has anyone ever successfully treated parasites on bass ?
Flukes should be easily treated with some prazipro with a repeat dose.

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
In my experience with bass when they yawn they are showing dominance to the other fish in the tank, even if there is no other fish in the tank he could be doing this in response of seeing his own reflection on the glass. A yawn can also mean that it's challenging the "other fish" for control of the tank. With large mouth that I've kept they never lip locked other other fish to fight, they would always open their mouth as wide as possible and charge head first pushing the other fish away. The bending could be a sign of ich but it could just as easily be as you stated, just him stretching. Not too uncommon to see a predator fish stretch itself just to keep itself primed and ready to feed at a moment's notice. Think of it like a runner stretching before a race.

Personally I wouldn't stress about the behavior too much, just keep an eye on him and meds on hand in case something happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store