BD Pup has sunken nose

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
At this point I would look into one of those full range tests. I'm not sure what the specifics are but I believe you can take your water to be tested at like a lab. I've not done it, but if I was worried about my bd I wouldn't hesitate to. Maybe someone else can give you some info, particularly other NJ guys. If it were me I would test gh, kh, TDs and start a round of prazi. Someone will suggest not medicating, and I generally agree but I find prazi pretty easy on fish. I would also do limited water changes as long as conditions permit, something like 10-20% daily. Something funky is going on, hopefully finding it will solve problems across multiple tanks.

Reactions: Jesseliu13

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
At this point I would look into one of those full range tests. I'm not sure what the specifics are but I believe you can take your water to be tested at like a lab. I've not done it, but if I was worried about my bd I wouldn't hesitate to. Maybe someone else can give you some info, particularly other NJ guys. If it were me I would test gh, kh, TDs and start a round of prazi. Someone will suggest not medicating, and I generally agree but I find prazi pretty easy on fish. I would also do limited water changes as long as conditions permit, something like 10-20% daily. Something funky is going on, hopefully finding it will solve problems across multiple tanks.
thanks for the advice... im not sure what it is... my water has been going strange for months now... My PH dropped in my adult marbled tanks to like below 5. And Now my BD pup tank hit the fan... I dont know what it could be. I just checked again my levels, All are normal. PH is around 6.8, Little to no ammonia, no nitrite, and im currently doing a water change but last i checked nitrate was at 5. So now it should be less. GH and KH test kits are coming in tomorow from kensfish... and im in the middle of building my 500 gallon.... this is the worst timing and its a nightmare. And now im having second thoughts of doing water changes this week.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Kinda sounds like your not cycled properly..... 5 nitrates is very low for a ray tank... i know we all want to get nitrates down, but unless you changing tons of water every day, a nitrate level of 5 seems off to me.
I agree. In both my ray tanks I very rarely have nitrates under 60. Even after 2 weekly 50% changes. Both tanks run off k1. Sounds like you are having cycling issues. 5ppm is super low.

I'd dumb a bottle of stability in the tank or add some seeded media from another tank

feeling2good

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
USA
Did you find a possible cause and did your ray healed up Jesseliu13 Jesseliu13 ? 1 of my ray has the same condition. Just notice it yesterday. Didn't really pay attention cuz she is nice and fat. Eats like a pig and active. Had her for 1yr now. The other 2 rays are fine.

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Everyone focuses so heavily on keeping nitrates low. My bet would be low KH (something most fish keepers neglect) which is the resistance of the solution (tank water) to resist swings in pH. Large scale swings in pH are going to kill rays far quicker than 'high' nitrates. I also find that bead filters tend to work better with a high KH.

5ppm Nitrates is odd in a fully cycled ray tank. I would question my test kit or the way you are using it.

Reactions: viper0397
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store