Bd stingray has slime coming from his rear end, will not eat, and started twitching.

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Hello I really need some help figuring out what is going on with my stingray before it is to late. 5 days ago I did my regular once a week 50% wc. After the water change he did not eat. I was not to concerned until the next morning when I noticed to me looked like he was losing his slime coat, and still not eating. I tested my water and everything came back normal. So I gave him another day to get better. Still had no luck and a very long clear string of slime was hanging off him and it had a red ting to it, the slimey string I assume was coming out of his anus. So I pulled the sting off the next day as it did not fall off on its own. Started doing 10% water change once a day and raised my temp to 82F. I came home today and noticed a green sting coming out from under him I took a pic this time. PLEASE HELP!!!

20211126_093057.jpg

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
I also noticed today that he has started twitching. And looks like he has some spasms once in awhile a freaks out and moves around fast for acouple seconds. The catfish has been with him since I have had him which is 6 months. And the catfish is the only tank mate. Dunno if he is stressed or has some kind of parasite. I only feed him sinking pellets also.

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Please someone help. I turned to salting my tank very under dosed cause I know how sensitive rays are to salting, and turned the heat up. Any advice would be very appreciated!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gpdriftwood Gpdriftwood

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I wish I could help, I've never seen this before. I did lose some rays in the beginning a long time ago. I have since attributed those losses to vitamin deficiencies from not having a varied enough diet. I would definitely recommend feeding lots of other frozen foods as opposed to or in conjunction with pellets. Best of luck. Sorry not much help.

Reactions: tlindsey

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Okay thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get him to pull through so I can use the advice haha

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
*update* ray has turned for the worse after salting. I had to evacuate him from tank, put him in a toat and he calmed down. I did a 90% water change and did a hydrometer test to make sure all the salt was gone. Test came back that there was no salt. Put him back in the tank, he was fine for about 3 hours. And started freaking put again. I removed him once again into the toat with oxygen and heat in it. He seems alot more relaxed in the toat, but still breathing very heavily (who can blame him after such a **** show) catfish is still in the tank doing perfectly fine? Lol I did a 25% waterchange but I think I'm going to leave the stingray in the toat tonight and see if he lives through the night.

Wanna B MFK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2021
*update* ray has turned for the worse after salting. I had to evacuate him from tank, put him in a toat and he calmed down. I did a 90% water change and did a hydrometer test to make sure all the salt was gone. Test came back that there was no salt. Put him back in the tank, he was fine for about 3 hours. And started freaking put again. I removed him once again into the toat with oxygen and heat in it. He seems alot more relaxed in the toat, but still breathing very heavily (who can blame him after such a **** show) catfish is still in the tank doing perfectly fine? Lol I did a 25% waterchange but I think I'm going to leave the stingray in the toat tonight and see if he lives through the night.
Im having kinda the same situation with a bd about the same size she hasn’t ate in 2 weeks so I put her ina tote and used prazi pro and the next day fed night crawlers and she finally ate . For the past couple days she’s eats but very little so I guess it’s a little progress hope this could help

Reactions: Matteus

Scottyboy556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Hey, I would of used medicine if I was able to diagnose the issue, but also I do not no where to get medicine? I live in alberta was wondering where you got your prazi pro? And I'm sorry to hear about your bd. Seems like you have made more progress then me tho with the medicine and getting her to eat again after 2 weeks.

Wanna B MFK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2021
Hey, I would of used medicine if I was able to diagnose the issue, but also I do not no where to get medicine? I live in alberta was wondering where you got your prazi pro? And I'm sorry to hear about your bd. Seems like you have made more progress then me tho with the medicine and getting her to eat again after 2 weeks.
dam man idk why in Canada they stop letting ppl use fish meds. but if I could send you some I would ina heart beat mate? I hope your ray is getting better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store