Beani Keepers??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I wholeheartedly agree with aquamonsters take on how they tend to waste away if not the master of their realm. Much the same as haitiensus did (at least in my case), although temp requirements were just the opposite.
As 2" individuals, they shared the tank with Acarichthys heckelli for a short time, but as soon as the alpha male started bulking up, nothing else in his path was tolerated.

May I suggest an article about beani in the April 2003 issue of Cichlid News mag called Experience with Cichlasoma beani from Northwestern Mexico by Dan Woodland. His photos and the article set me on my beani quest.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I wholeheartedly agree with aquamonsters take on how they tend to waste away if not the master of their realm. Much the same as haitiensus did (at least in my case)
Which is why many people advocate raising them out solo from the get go. VRWC has posted about this a number of times in the past. He seldom posts here anymore, the following are past quotes of his about his experience with beani.

If it were me, with istlanum or beani again, in a tank smaller than 7 ft, Id separate them with NON see-thru dividers until at least 3" for istlanum & 5" for beani. Its the only way I was able to get them past the weak stages of a smaller size...but then keep them divided until youre able to sex them and try and pair them up unless you want nature to take its course and let a pair (if one forms) take everyone out on their own.

You can get light diffuser in the same place you get eggcrate (which is just light diffuser as well) at lowes/home depot and its solid and cloudy looking so you cant see through it.

If you know the measurements, you can have them cut it for you there.

I quarantined a standard 75g into 6 sections for 8 months growing beani out separately before and it worked great. It gives you decent control over each ones diet as well.

And just because the subject of bloat always comes up with these fish ........

Another past comment from VRWC ........

Stress is what causes the bloat IME, not diet. I think thats an old wives tale...

While not scientific and only done in 2 tanks, I have grown out beani feeding them every high protein food possible and as long as they were the kings of the tank or at least lived in a fight free environment, they never got bloat.

In other tanks of the same fish with cichlid tank mates challenging them and low protein diets (the staple being spirulina) they all died from bloat symptoms.
And a thread that I started in the past regarding bloat in CA/SA species of fish ......

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?448533-Bloat-in-CA-SA-species

You might also be interested in reading Mo & others comments about beani keeping in this past discussion.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?390231-Is-anyone-keeping-Beani

Good luck with your new fish!

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Awsome fishman cant wait to see your beani with the care you give your fish!

Im having great success with my haits solo divided with clear acrylic, I also agree with VWRC statement about bloat being purley stress as my friend with his haitians has been feeding large quantities of shrimp and they are just fine because of the zero stress enviro. I Also know of another person that has been growing Haits for a long time and he grows them out all together as its easier for him to sex. I talk about Haits because of they are both proan to bloat. So the best advice I have gotten out of all the research I have done on bloat prone species is the less stress the more succes! Good luck on your project and keep us posted!

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Duanes Methods IMO our a excellent and a sure way to growout

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
Thanks, will definitely keep everyone posted.
They're going to go into my 135 which is a ton of room for 6 1.5" fish. Will have plenty of rock and driftwood for multiple territories. Also with my drip system they will have no fluctuation in water quality which can stress fish out and they won't have to deal with stressful water changes and temperature fluctuations. Will be feeding 100% nls which has a good rep for sensitive salt fish thriving on. Will keep the temps below 75 as Duanes has with his. Hopefully the combo of all this will lead to beani thriving in my tank.

Also I think I'll try doing a trio with 1m and 2f with them to possibly dilute pair disputes. Main thing is trying to reduce stress as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Where are you getting them from? Last time I was at the Wetspot they had 12 or so in the 2.5-3" range for $6.95 each. If you haven't ordered 1" fish already, it might not be a bad idea to drive down.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A challenge it is.
I'm usually not able to get pics of the subordinate beani in the tank, because they keep out of sight, but today during feeding I was able to get a few. They tend to make a mad dash for a bite, and quick retreat to their holes. They remain half the size of the alphas.

The alpha females are also very hard the subordinate females.

When the male appears , the others disappear.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
duanes ......... what exactly is the point of keeping sub dominant beani in with the dom beani, if the end result is fish that get the tar beat out of them on a regular basis? Why not just remove them?

I've had a lot of sub dom fish in tanks over the years, but never any that looked as rough as those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store