Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Bearded dragon info?

Discussion in 'Reptiles, Amphibians and Other Exotic Pets' started by magpie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Experiment397

Experiment397 MFK Members

Wednesday at 8:37 PM
      on another note- as far as a digging box. I have tried several types. with my terrestrial gecko species i have used small low profile tupperwares with top or side entrances filled with topsoil, coconut fiber, spagnum moss or sand mixs. the geckos seemed to prefer this so much over their tiled enclosures i just switched the whole enclosure over to the substrate. my desert iguana is kept on a very course, gravel-like sandstone tile with an open topped tub filled with around 4-6" of fine sand for him to dig in, its his sandbox. works great for him as he is a very messy eater that would get sand all over his fruit and veggies if fed over it or near it. i have even wetted down his sandbox and let it dry hard then placed it back in the tank for him to dig burrows in while it was hard enough to keep solid shapes. as he digs it goes back to loose sand and then i just pull it out wet it and let it harden up again. his tank is far too hot and dry for any bioactive vivaria so i dont even attempt it.

magpie likes this.
    2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson MFK Members

Jeremy Jacob Anderson
      56 minutes ago
      You will be fine with the beardie, OP. Just make sure it gets good food, lots of warmth, and UVB and it will rock for you. Cool lizards.

I prefer Uros, though, so cool.
      I had a yellow Mali Uromastyx for about seven years, they are so cool. Mostly herbivores as adults, mine never drank water, I rarely offered it. Probably my favorite captive reptile of all time, and I have had...let’s say a few.
      OP; Bearded dragons are a great starter lizard, as long as you care for it, it will kick butt.

magpie and tlindsey like this.
    3. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Yesterday at 2:38 PM
      Jumping in quick for a thank you to you both!

Will come back with a few more questions when I have a bit more time.

Thanks!

tlindsey and Jeremy Anderson like this.
    4. magpie

magpie MFK Members

These posts are so helpful to me. So you don't feel like your substrates add too much humidity to the environment for beardies? Some people HATE this ****. LOL So much so that I am tempted to just wait it out until I know the dragon better, which is probably a good idea no matter what so I don't stress him/her out. Some of the excavator clay setups that people do can look more natural if done well.

Maybe I could start with a digging box option, see if he uses it and then go from there? I also need to talk with the local reptile store. They seemed really great, but really busy the day I went in. They had amazing animals (all captive bred) and had their beardies on some kind of soil/material mix seemingly like what you use.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the input. The Uros are really striking looking! If I was starting from scratch I might consider one (or maybe I need one someday in the future!)

I am kind of a researching nerd when it comes to animals... I don't do pets half-assed. I get excited, try to think about the realities of care, and then want the best for them. So I think I could at the very least provide it a better home than the one it's in, or at least give it more attention. I really have ALWAYS wanted a reptile as a pet. I think this might just be perfect timing. I mean, I would love to have this beardie on my person right now as I type. ;)

tlindsey likes this.
    5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Jacob Anderson
      56 minutes ago
      I used sand. Play sand from Home Depot. I washed it, dried it most of the way. And baked it to sterilize it. i have seen coco husk work, just be aware they like it dry and keep it that way. People get nuttyballs about stuff like substrate. Keep it dry and cleanish. Research is good, consistency and discipline is better. Speaking from my own experience. With you apparently in Bend, OR I think the humidity will be plenty low naturally, just don’t keep him in with a big sump in the fish room! Also, we’re almost neighbors, ;)

magpie likes this.
    6. pops

pops MFK Members

Greg
      Yesterday at 7:12 PM
      got a bearded dragon right here at my desk, along with birds and fish. They are very easy to care for. long as you have what you need, I do suggest a above ceramic heating lamp with a basking log, heating pads a no no, also a UVB light, I use a Zoo Med reptile strip florescence. I also use a timer to make it endless summer for the light,

I use reptile sand. but think going to change soon to reptile turf, you have 3 you can change em out like a poopy pad and wash em and put them back in and not have to worry about the ambiguous digestion impaction.

they are easy to handle, more you handle them the more relaxed they are about it but they are not flesh rippers, nore are there claws like a iguana.

feeding is easy, like fish get a good quality bearded pellet, its fun to feed them crickets, I go through 2 dozen a week, but main diet California mixed veggies sprinkled with pellets, I put the veggies in a small veggie blender.

I like my little beardy, he has car-actor to me.

magpie likes this.
    7. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Thanks all! I am soaking it all in.

@pops@pops - what pellet do you recommend? I know Repashy does lizards too, so I trust them...

The owner is going to answer some of my questions tomorrow (how old, how big, diet, size enclosure, etc.)

@Jeremy Anderson@Jeremy Anderson - are you in PDX? We just moved here from there about 6 weeks ago. LOVING the drier weather. :)

8. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Jacob Anderson
      56 minutes ago
      Portland is wetter than where I live. I am in the high desert around Boise, Idaho. Bend is pretty similar, but more windy and even drier than Boise, I think.

9. magpie

magpie MFK Members

I've heard good things about Boise. We lived in PDX for 17 years and are just loving it down here.

Jeremy Anderson likes this.
    10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Jacob Anderson
      56 minutes ago
      Boise sucks, tell everyone you meet.

magpie likes this.