Beginner!! Please help set up 55gal

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; What fish to have is a bit of personal taste so I will not exactly make suggestions. I do think there are some species better suited for those just starting out in the hobby.

There are some things to consider with first fish. One is the odds of making some mistakes while learning. For this reason some of the less expensive fish might be a way to go for a time. Recently I participated in a thread about problems with fish in a tank. Turned out the tank was a new set up and had not been properly "cycled". There were some rather costly fish already in the tank being subjected to things like ammonia.
Not saying you will make the same mistakes but it might be worth considering some less expensive to start with.

Another thing is that some species need particular care. Things such as more specialized food, some sort of particular water conditions, a larger tank at maturity and so on. For example I would not recommend a couple off the cute juvenile Oscars so common in a fish shop as first fish.

One thing you might consider is to get an idea about the source water you will be using. If it is tap water a report might be available. Whatever the source water parameters may be it is often much better to pick fish that tolerate the water as it is, rather than trying to change the water to suit a fish you want.

AjFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2018
Hello; What fish to have is a bit of personal taste so I will not exactly make suggestions. I do think there are some species better suited for those just starting out in the hobby.

There are some things to consider with first fish. One is the odds of making some mistakes while learning. For this reason some of the less expensive fish might be a way to go for a time. Recently I participated in a thread about problems with fish in a tank. Turned out the tank was a new set up and had not been properly "cycled". There were some rather costly fish already in the tank being subjected to things like ammonia.
Not saying you will make the same mistakes but it might be worth considering some less expensive to start with.

Another thing is that some species need particular care. Things such as more specialized food, some sort of particular water conditions, a larger tank at maturity and so on. For example I would not recommend a couple off the cute juvenile Oscars so common in a fish shop as first fish.

One thing you might consider is to get an idea about the source water you will be using. If it is tap water a report might be available. Whatever the source water parameters may be it is often much better to pick fish that tolerate the water as it is, rather than trying to change the water to suit a fish you want.
Thank you for the suggestions. I understand fish are a personal choice, I was just wanting to make sure I pick fish I will be able to provide a healthy environment for. Although I want green terror I am afraid a 55g will not be a good home. That's why I'm leaning toward blue acara instead. There are just too many choices lol.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think acaras would be more ideal for a 55 long term. The more space the better the behaviour :)

Reactions: AjFishKeeper

KansasSunfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think acaras would be more ideal for a 55 long term. The more space the better the behaviour :)
I tend to agree. I feel a 40 breeder is a better size for a GT than a reg 55. Ultimately though, they really need a 75 to do well long term. I have several GTs and I usually start them in tens in the rack, move them to a 40b at around 3 inches and then to a 75 as an adult or 125 as an adult pair. Btw, welcome to the hobby!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store