Best algae eaters

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Panda garra are said to eat BBA. I think mine do but I'm not 100% sure I have black beard algae. Cory of Aquarium Coop said several.in Michigan told him of panda garra eating black beard algae.
I have PG but they don't seem to be eating bba in my tank. I can tell by the way they graze. PG graze like any sucker mouth pleco, so they are good at erasing green dust algae on glass and leaves. SAE nibble on the leaves and along the edges where bba concentrate.

Molly nibble on leaves like SAE, so may have minor impact on BBA. I read that American flag fish eat bba, but I have never own them to verify.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I spent hundreds of dollars on fish to eat algae in my ray tank. And all seemed to fail at doing what I want them to do. One day I walked in and my ray was actually eating the thick tufts of bba off of the rocks and plants in my tank. I was surprised and a bit pissed that they did a better job than any of the so called algae eaters I had picked up. I’m ok with it though because it was a good excuse to be able to get some of the cool algae eater types that I really wanted. I wouldn’t say this is a rule but more of a pleasant exception to the rule.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store