Best algae eating pleco

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi People,

I need some help on getting a pleco for my Australian native tank. The tank is roughly 75G (5ftx1.3x1.5). Whilst I know Bristlenose's are one of the best, my Australian bass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bass) and freshwater stonefish called a bullrout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullrout) attack my bristlenose, so the bristlenose's got moved to another tank.

My tank has huge algae issues, I understand that it's due to light and nutrients, but even a few days after scraping all the algae and water change it comes back, so much so you cannot see into the tank.

I would like to get a plceo that grows larger and can handle the bullying, but that also is a herbivore. My research has only really uncovered the royal pleco. Unfortunately, these guys cost around $1500 AUD ($1200 USD) in Australia.

Can anyone suggest other pleco's for me? I have bigger tanks that I can move it to, if it gets to big.

Thanks

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well sometimes in order to hang with the big guys you have to either be big enough to throw a punch back, or small enough that no one notices you ;).
Screenshot_2018-09-10-05-54-23.png
This little guy only gets to be 2 inches when fully grown, likes to be in a group, and is hands down one of the best algae eaters you can find. There is a down side though. Because they've been bred so much, their genetics aren't that good and a good bit of them die.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well sometimes in order to hang with the big guys you have to either be big enough to throw a punch back, or small enough that no one notices you ;).
View attachment 1334426
This little guy only gets to be 2 inches when fully grown, likes to be in a group, and is hands down one of the best algae eaters you can find. There is a down side though. Because they've been bred so much, their genetics aren't that good and a good bit of them die.
Can vouch for their algae eating ability.

As far as I know most are wild caught and don't take shipping too well, leading to die offs after import.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yeah, it also doesn't help that they're caught with the help of cycnide is it?
Also the panda garra is good with algae but not a pleco like you wanted.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I like them, but the problem is, I have 2 big aggressive predators that devour anything that size :-(

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Probably best to reduce your lighting and/or feeding. I think water testing would be helpful in determining what's triggering the algae. How long are your lights on for?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Common pleco.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well I was going to post an algae scrubber but I see that you've been removing it and it comes back a few days so how about this?
Screenshot_2018-09-10-06-38-52.png
Also pic of the tank?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
My tank has huge algae issues, I understand that it's due to light and nutrients
leading to die offs after import.
Hello; The ottos I have tried did not survive very long even with plenty of algae.

Probably best to reduce your lighting and/or feeding
Hello; this may be your best bet.

Hello; Another thing to determine is the kind of algae you have. I am thinking in particular of what is sometimes called "slime algae" or cyanobacteria algae. I have had this before and it is a pain to deal with. It forms sheets more or less. It is a type which is made up of the algae and a bacterium. I use to physically remove it with my fingers from my plants and everywhere else. It would break up some what and there would be a cloud of small green particles floating around. In maybe a week it would again begin to form sheets on everything. If you have this type let us know. I eventually got rid of mine, fingers crossed, at least for about three years.

Hello; I do not think you will find any suitable fish to take care of algae. Snails can help some and are part of a method to keep it down, but not a cure all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store