Best bulbs for african cichlids...

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
http://www.zoomed.com/html/lites.php

I recently bought the zoo med ocean sun for my 125 gal african tank.....Algae is getting pretty bad on my rocks, would anyone here recommend the flora sun 6500k, even though i have no live plants, also what fish colors / tones / shades would the flora sun promote as opposed to the ocean sun, thanks.:)

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
mbuna would work because they are use to shallow bright sun. I am sure the color would look great. as for the bulbs themselves. if the one you have is not working try another one. Return what doesn't work...

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
I like 10,000k and plus bulbs with the Africans. Brings out the blues and the yellows pop.
I got algee, too. I have learned to like the natural look about it. I did not at first.
I have 2- 36" spanning the front of the tank and 1- 48" behind it in the middle of the tank.

000_0618.jpg

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
fish head )'>;606846; said:
I like 10,000k and plus bulbs with the Africans. Brings out the blues and the yellows pop.
I got algee, too. I have learned to like the natural look about it. I did not at first.
I have 2- 36" spanning the front of the tank and 1- 48" behind it in the middle of the tank.
Thanks for the response bro, the algea that i have on my slate rock is a dark color, and black directly under the lights............not too appealing!!!! have you ever tried the 6500k flora gro lights?? I wish my fei feng would survive the agression and the water conditions......he would take care of that junk in no time.......:)

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
Any imput or experiences W/ that bulb for africans........(not planted)..............anyone???:)

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
fish head )'>;609834; said:
aren't you asking for algee growth using a bulb designed for plants? "flora grow"
Well...... hell, the kelvin rating is less than what i am using now 10000k as opposed to flora grows 6500 k...............So I was asking for experienced educated opinions.............Anyone!!!:D :D

bigvisk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
albany, ny
try standard bulbs if you want less algae, the lower light the less algae, maybe even leave the lights off one day a week. or for shorter intervals.

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
bigvisk;610063; said:
try standard bulbs if you want less algae, the lower light the less algae, maybe even leave the lights off one day a week. or for shorter intervals.

I was just really trying to get a concensus of what bulb people think would make my fish look the best...................color wise..............and if the concensus is stick with the 10000 k then i will.............thanks.........:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store