Best filtration for 750 indoor ray pond...

Black_Diamond

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2017
Reno, NV
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I currently have had a 210 gal for my BD ray that has been beautiful for him running sumo filtration system but he is outgrowing it so I am in need of an upgrade.
I am turning a 750 gal stock tank into his forever home and throwing around ideas for filtration. The plan I believe is to buy a drum filter but not sure what brand is best or where to buy from... (I am in Reno, NV, USA)
Cost isn’t necessarily an issue however I was trying not to break the bank and buy something I maybe didn’t need yet.
I know if I purchase the CombiBio 30 that I will basically be set up to then add more 750’s to my system with little trouble in adding to the waste management, however space is an issue and that mofo ain’t small. But if it’s the best and the best for the animal so be it.
My main question is does anyone have any alternative suggestions for filtering a 750 gal tank in a room that is only going to be roughly 15 by 10 with an option of building a separate housing for the drum filter outside if necessary, or is that one of my best and only options.
Thanks in advance everyone much love for all you fellow MFK’s!!!
Zach

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If you can afford an rdf, I’ve only ever heard great things about them.
Is that completely necessary for you? No.
Are you handy? If you are there a tons of ways to make a diy filter from 55g barrels at the fraction of the cost to buy a pond filter.
And in making your own filter you can make it fit perfectly in the space you have available for it.

Reactions: Black_Diamond

Black_Diamond

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2017
Reno, NV
If you can afford an rdf, I’ve only ever heard great things about them.
Is that completely necessary for you? No.
Are you handy? If you are there a tons of ways to make a diy filter from 55g barrels at the fraction of the cost to buy a pond filter.
And in making your own filter you can make it fit perfectly in the space you have available for it.
Thank you for your reply! First I would have to say that I am fairly handy yes, however the problem therein lies that I dont know how to create said filter. Or what is required. I have looked around on youtube and tried to find a solution involving barrels and a high powered pump even looked at maybe doing a bakki style filter but I haven't been successful in finding an actual how to.
I think that even a smaller oase rdf would fill my needs and allow for less screwups on my part and give me the flow I need to add more later on down the line where a barrel system would be specific for that pond correct?

-Z

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thank you for your reply! First I would have to say that I am fairly handy yes, however the problem therein lies that I dont know how to create said filter. Or what is required. I have looked around on youtube and tried to find a solution involving barrels and a high powered pump even looked at maybe doing a bakki style filter but I haven't been successful in finding an actual how to.
I think that even a smaller oase rdf would fill my needs and allow for less screwups on my part and give me the flow I need to add more later on down the line where a barrel system would be specific for that pond correct?

-Z
If you look up diy pond filters you can see all sorts of filter options.
Here is one example:
Though I’d have the pump in the pond itself (left) and have the water flow from the top pipe (right) back into the pond. Hopefully that makes sense.
A362D860-20C2-492B-B729-FA1E5A49C444.jpeg

I personally like to look at images to see exactly how to water flows through the system. Once you understand the basic layout you can customize it however you want:)
And a system like this could easily be made to handle more. Use unions to connect pipes so additional barrels can be added if needed.

It really comes down to whatever you are comfortable with and works with your budget.

Oh, and welcome to the forum:)

Reactions: Black_Diamond

Black_Diamond

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2017
Reno, NV
If you look up diy pond filters you can see all sorts of filter options.
Here is one example:
Though I’d have the pump in the pond itself (left) and have the water flow from the top pipe (right) back into the pond. Hopefully that makes sense.
View attachment 1401463

I personally like to look at images to see exactly how to water flows through the system. Once you understand the basic layout you can customize it however you want:)
And a system like this could easily be made to handle more. Use unions to connect pipes so additional barrels can be added if needed.

It really comes down to whatever you are comfortable with and works with your budget.

Oh, and welcome to the forum:)
Ok so another question for you then since you seem to know what you're talking about!

How do I know how much media I need to correctly filter a 750 gallon tank??? Or how large of pump I would need to do the job. I'm thinking that I am going to go with a Reeflo Hammerhead with a GPH of 6000 and ball valves to step it down if necessary. I forget the ratio of GPH turnover per gallons of your tank. 4x or more???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store