Best fishing line for bait caster ?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
you'd be surprised how big of fish you can truly catch on #65 braid. Quite a few of my reels are back with it. caught countless fish up to 350lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Woah that's crazy lol so I can't blame my line for fish I lose! I'm having dreams about fishing already I can't wait for the lake to thaw

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
Woah that's crazy lol so I can't blame my line for fish I lose! I'm having dreams about fishing already I can't wait for the lake to thaw

You and me both. I don't mind fishing the hard water but I'm itching to get the boat out again. And 65 lb braid will pull in darn near anything imo. The problem is depending on how heavy your rod is and how much drag your reel is capable of it may be overkill. Even with the heavier line the rod and reel can't do much with the extra strength, if that makes any sense lol. You might be surprised how little drag some reels can exert on the spool. If it is an average baitcaster you might be better off putting on 30 or maybe 45 lb braid, plenty strong but it'll let you hold more line. Just my two cents. Also, nice job on the guides, I can't stand cheap guides, they chip and squeek and drive me crazy.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Bringing this thread back to life for a minute. The Line I use is 25lb mono but the line isn’t perfectly round like how lighter line is like tooth floss kind of. Mine is more of a rectangle shape and think it’s because the material or something just gets squashed easily. Idk I know nothing about different types of line, I always just use what I got and never had a problem until I got a bait caster. When I first got it I had a thinner 20lb line on it and I was doing perfect with casting it after a couple minutes of warming up to it but then I got a bad bird nest and ended up cutting all line out and somehow that spool was empty and only had 25lb line and now every cast I make the line just gets thrown off the reel. Any help or advice please

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
People tend to do better with heavier line on a bait caster. All 6 of mine are rigged with suffix 832. I have 40lb braid. Most issues are from having your bait caster improperly set. Adjust the spool tensioner according to how you are fishing. With the wind loosen it up, against the wind tighten it. Adjust your braking system as well. Buy a bait casting reel with a larger line guide. Narrow line guides occasionally result in Birdnests.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
People tend to do better with heavier line on a bait caster. All 6 of mine are rigged with suffix 832. I have 40lb braid. Most issues are from having your bait caster improperly set. Adjust the spool tensioner according to how you are fishing. With the wind loosen it up, against the wind tighten it. Adjust your braking system as well. Buy a bait casting reel with a larger line guide. Narrow line guides occasionally result in Birdnests.
I have a Berkeley pole with a Abu Garcia black max low profile reel. Have 20lb line. I think it’s mono but it’s thinner. It casts good but don’t have a spool tensioner cap

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have a Berkeley pole with a Abu Garcia black max low profile reel. Have 20lb line. I think it’s mono but it’s thinner. It casts good but don’t have a spool tensioner cap
The black max have a spool tensioner underneath the drag tensioner. It’s a black knob.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store