Best food for bichirs?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Best food are whole fish they can swallow, but even Asian food stores don't have fish that small in the frozen section. You can go for the smaller varieties of whole fish (from the Asian store or frozen silver sides from the LFS) and cut them up. The bone, scale, fat, eyes of whole fish help with their overall development better than pure fish fillet pieces.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well, I have 3. 1 gray bichir, 1 Albino senegal, 1 Ornate Bichir. The gray bichir is about 7-8 inch and the Albino and Ornate are around 5 inch.
The cheapest pellets I use are from Kensfish I feed my Senegal 's. My larger polypterus eat Nortfin Jumbo pellet and Tilapia to all of my bichir.

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I was feeding them massivore delite and prawns. The massivore delite pack finished a few days ago and I've been feeding them prawns since. Can't afford Massivore now cause the prices have hiked crazy due to the virus. Also, it's really difficult to feed them prawns cause my Aro and Peacock love feasting on the prawns. I feed them both pellets first but no matter how much I feed them they always go for the prawns and my ornate takes a while to come out of his cave and eat the prawns and before he does that the aro almost eats everything and if not him the apple snails start feasting on it.

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Best food are whole fish they can swallow, but even Asian food stores don't have fish that small in the frozen section. You can go for the smaller varieties of whole fish (from the Asian store or frozen silver sides from the LFS) and cut them up. The bone, scale, fat, eyes of whole fish help with their overall development better than pure fish fillet pieces.
This sounds good, will try it. Thank you

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Carnivore pellets and seafoods generally work well.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store