Best foods for Amazon puffers

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m already growing out pond and rams horn snails and will be starting a culture of amphipods.
I have frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and frozen (and live if I can catch them) mysis.
I can’t seem to find frozen black worms online but will get them when I do.
Any other good foods for Colomesus Asselus?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fat Homer Fat Homer . Ramshorn snails would be my top choice. Maybe some kind of pellet/stick?
I’d love to get them to eat pellets but it seems hard with such small fish (you can stick them in food for larger fish). Hopefully they will learn by watching others.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Bump

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Where are you, Deadeye Deadeye ?
I ask as I'm wondering what might be in your local rivers/lakes.
Amazon puffers need their beaks trimmed even with a snail-diet, suggesting particularly high-wear favourites. MTS are apparently too hard, so what's in the middle? FW limpets? Nerites (apparently there's an all-FW species in the Caribbean, though I've not found)?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Where are you, Deadeye Deadeye ?
I ask as I'm wondering what might be in your local rivers/lakes.
Amazon puffers need their beaks trimmed even with a snail-diet, suggesting particularly high-wear favourites. MTS are apparently too hard, so what's in the middle? FW limpets? Nerites (apparently there's an all-FW species in the Caribbean, though I've not found)?
Jersey, not much local waterways near me that I can search through though.
I do plan to breed and buy lots of crunchy foods though.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I'm properly jealous... Colomesus is on my dream-list but there's no way I'll find an importer.
Note: every bit of underwater documentary footage I've ever seen of this species/genus has been them dancing about right up in the full-flow current. Not sure if that's helpful, I find it fascinating as a river-fish guy :)

Edits1:
If you make a road-trip, think about blackfly larvae stuck to rocks (offer with the rock?) and caddis with their little rock&junk jackets.

And(!!!) you should be able to Amazon a sachet of tadpole shrimp (Notostraca sp, AKA triops) eggs/cysts as they're easy, active, gut-loadable &, yes, crunchy. We get them wild around here, but finding is unpredictable.

Edits2:
No footage links, sorry...
Powerhead near/along surface with some structure at far end should keep the plants from getting too battered.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I'm properly jealous... Colomesus is on my dream-list but there's no way I'll find an importer.
Note: every bit of underwater documentary footage I've ever seen of this species/genus has been them dancing about right up in the full-flow current. Not sure if that's helpful, I find it fascinating as a river-fish guy :)
I noticed. 99% glass surfing, even in high flow. Hopefully being in a bigger tank and out of QT helps, I’ll probably still need a powerhead though (hopefully not, I’d kill all the plants with that flow).

Do you have links to that footage?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Small mussels sold at the local grocery store is something you could consider.
When they get large I plant to do that. They are dwarf puffer sized right now.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store