Best foods for Amazon puffers

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Is tubifex too fattening or are black worms better? Also I can’t find frozen of either, so is freeze dried just as good?

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I’m already growing out pond and rams horn snails and will be starting a culture of amphipods.
I have frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and frozen (and live if I can catch them) mysis.
I can’t seem to find frozen black worms online but will get them when I do.
Any other good foods for Colomesus Asselus?
Back when I had mine I would always feed them with clams on the half shell, bloodworms, and ramshorns. For an extra measure I suggest soaking these in garlic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Update:
They eat mysis, brine, and bloodworms. They have shown interest in flakes and pellets. One eats repashy grub pie.
Still growing snails and amphipods to a good population size. They were interested in snails.
I’ll have to pick up more bloodworms soon, I’ll look for frozen clams as well.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Update:
They eat mysis, brine, and bloodworms. They have shown interest in flakes and pellets. One eats repashy grub pie.
Still growing snails and amphipods to a good population size. They were interested in snails.
I’ll have to pick up more bloodworms soon, I’ll look for frozen clams as well.
Check with your lfs to see if any have live black worms. My pea puff's love 'em.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Check with your lfs to see if any have live black worms. My pea puff's love 'em.
Would they accept freeze dried or is that really up to the individual.
I’d love to do a live black worm culture but it seems as though that will not be allowed lol.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Would they accept freeze dried or is that really up to the individual.
I’d love to do a live black worm culture but it seems as though that will not be allowed lol.
Worth trying. I have not had luck feeding freeze dried anything to my fish, puff's or otherwise.
Black worm cultures are apparently not easy to maintain do to slow growth. I have heard from some other hobbyists that they have worms that established in aquaria. I'm trying to see if I can maintain a culture though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store