best starter snake?

Heppy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
ik thinking of getting a snake, but i wnat 1 that doesn't mind being handled, doesn't grow too big nd easy to look after. any ideas?

cheers

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
i would say a corn snake, ive got 4, very beautiful, cheap, and lots of color morphs. they become very docile if u handle them alot. but if 10 ft isnt to big for u go for a RED TAILD BOA

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
red tail boas are mint looking
they have a perfict head shape :drool:

from what im told
chondros(tree snake) are easy and hardy. but pricy

i havent had a snake in easily 3-4 years
and im jumping to a green tree python
i will have it tommrow :D

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Redtail boas also get FIFTEEN FEET LONG which I think kind of disqualifies them as starter snakes. I've just seen way too many 8-10 ft long redtails CRAMMED into 40 gal aquariums because the owners didn't think about how big it got when they bought that cute little hatchling.

Best starter snake in my opinion - probably hands-down, ball python. King snakes and Corn Snakes are cool and very easy to care for - but they are also MUCH more active, so actually require more space than a ball, even though they are smaller.

If you want to spend a little more money and get something a little less common (since every 12 yr old kid in the world has a ball python), go for a hognose snake...very unique looking, lots of weird behavior and extremly easy to care for.

Or...you know...get a tegu..wait...thats not a snake.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
there has rarley been a case of a red tail getting 15 feet. the males usually get to about 10 but normally stay around 8. the females get around 8-12 ft. 15 ft is rare.

skaterific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
illinois
how big do gtp get not that im getting 1 (cant) :)

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
kingsnakes are very easy to care for and need virtually no space. a full grown specimen can be kept in a 29 gallon aquarium for life. easily. keep them at or above 70 and they will not hibernate. can be fed mice and small rodents. eat anything from anoles to tree frogs. i have been to a local breeder in my area. they are called www.renegadereptiles.com and have a way cool set up. i have seen there place and they were very informative and cool. i watched some sulcata tortoise hatch and saw a few different breeds of snakes being hatched from the incubators. check out their site, i got my snake from them and hes been great. they have everything from mild to wild and inbetween. have fun

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store