best starter snake?

Dargath78

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Now you know! :thumbsup:

Also where is the thread starter located? There are many great reptile and herp shows around. Many great breeders sell their stock at shows and you can get some pretty good prices, especially compared to a pet store.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
This forum is for all kinds of critters, keeps a leash on them to prevent them from running around in the other ones and chewing on peoples slippers.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
walls said:
Well I know that the term REDTAIL REALLY only applies to the "true" redtails, surinam, guyana, ect.
I do NOT eat breath and sleep snakes but I CAN tell the difference between mexican and columbian boas. Its not near as hard as you make it sound.
I would be interested to get a list of the bunch of different Boa Constrictors from Central to South America. Try to keep in mind that they ALL are BOA CONSTRICTOR CONSTRICTOR. While they may differ slightly in size and color from region to region they are still ALL the same species.
And I have never been to a shop or breeder that has sold HOG ISLAND Boas as Columbians. I have been doing this for over twenty years and I can recall only ONE shop where the baby "redtails" were actually "mexican" boas. But remember, they are still both Boa Constrictor Constrictor.

And I could not disagree with you more about recommending a Ball Python. How is someone that doesnt know thier ass from a snowball gonna know if the baby python they are looking at is REALLY captive born?!?!? After all dont we ALL know the heartache of a NON-FEEDING Ball Python??

Sorry, I didn't mean to say species. "Locals?" I was just trying to note the fact that cantral american boas (most species) reach a size that they can become a little intimidating. They are all Boa constrictor constrictor, but they sizes are a little different with the "locals".
Columbian boa constricter (misnamed redtail)= 4-9'
true columbian redtail= 8-13' (the largest ever found to my knowledge was 18.5')

And I agree with you about wild ball pythons being picky eaters. But these days there are probally hundreds of thousands of ball pthons being produced each year in the states by breeders producing highend morphs (That number may be a little steep but theres alot). I don't know if youve hit the shows lately but captive born ball pythons are a dime a dozen($20-$50). BY the way, I did not mean to discredit or say anybody was wrong with, I just trying to give my two cents.

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
well i would go with a corn snake only beacuse i;v had mine for 8 years and she was my third snake. first snake ball python and got out and died in sofa

Isis_Nebthet

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
IN
My cb ball was 29.99. If you have a good shop you're going to they will be captive bred and feeding. Mine even eats f/t mice for me (a very good thing because weekly trips to the petshop were killing me on gas).

I was thinking of getting a bigger snake after I move. You guys think I'd be okay with a boa? They're a bit pricey right now with the housing and 100$ for the snake. I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake if I do. What are the temperments of boas?

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Last time I seen one of these for sale it was $100,000. I don't even think bob clark is selling any of his leucistic balls on his web site. You can get the average looking parents of the luecistic for $65,000 a pair.

seighten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
michigan
think some here missed the original point.... the person asking about a good starter snake mentioned several "requirements"... one being ability to be handled. alot of what i have read, and of the actual cases of people i have known that have had boas, most of these snakes have an ornery disposition, to put it nicely! not a good starter snake for that fact and the size issue...

also, as there is still quite a bit of info out there regarding ball pythons and their feeding issues... yes, every snake is individual but these guys still are associated with this issue as a group.... a little lower on the list of possible starters in my opinion!

i side with cornsnake people, also gophers can be a good choice, but are more expensive and can be a little hard to find... but worth looking for!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store