Betta Keeping Techniques

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thank you for the info!
So far, this thread has been more valuable than 3 hours of google :p

Much simpler than the 'chimney' system I see people using, where the female is kept in a bottle in the male's tank.

brine brine shrimp (artemia) naupilii (babies)?
Did you use tea leaves in your water?

Breeding them primarily, but also keeping the males/females together, keeping them in community tanks, keeping them alone, in short a 'everything to know about bettas' thread, maybe with some discussion of similar labyrinth fish.
Kittiee Katt Kittiee Katt , do you use a heater? If so, what do you keep it at?
Hendre Hendre candidpets candidpets I know you are paradise fish breeders. Do you run setups like the one Yuki Rhiwa described? If not, what are your setups like?
Here is a Youtube video I saw with a betta community Males & Females together in a small tank (40g), even breeding with no problems. I hear other people claiming the same thing.
Is this a scam, incredible fishkeeping, or luck, or is it like @Yuki Rhiwa said, that if you put them together real young they'll get along? I don't think that was done here.
about the Video, it's not a scam as long your tank heavy planted and has very little water or pretty much nothing, like I said you can keep same batch of fries together in same tank until you separate them (1 or 2 days separate enough to break their family bond) then they WILL NOT like each other if you put them back together in same tank, they will fight. It's beta world like it or not only 1 survive after fight if you up the loser in same tank.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thank you for the info!
So far, this thread has been more valuable than 3 hours of google :p

Much simpler than the 'chimney' system I see people using, where the female is kept in a bottle in the male's tank.

brine brine shrimp (artemia) naupilii (babies)?
Did you use tea leaves in your water?

Breeding them primarily, but also keeping the males/females together, keeping them in community tanks, keeping them alone, in short a 'everything to know about bettas' thread, maybe with some discussion of similar labyrinth fish.
Kittiee Katt Kittiee Katt , do you use a heater? If so, what do you keep it at?
Hendre Hendre candidpets candidpets I know you are paradise fish breeders. Do you run setups like the one Yuki Rhiwa described? If not, what are your setups like?
Here is a Youtube video I saw with a betta community Males & Females together in a small tank (40g), even breeding with no problems. I hear other people claiming the same thing.
Is this a scam, incredible fishkeeping, or luck, or is it like @Yuki Rhiwa said, that if you put them together real young they'll get along? I don't think that was done here.
about the Video, it's not a scam as long your tank heavy planted and has very little water movement or pretty much nothing, like I said you can keep same batch of fries together in same tank until you separate them (1 or 2 days separate enough to break their family bond) then they WILL NOT like each other if you put them back together in same tank, they will fight. It's beta world like it or not only 1 survive after fight if you keep the loser one in same tank. We do not put tea leaves in breeding tank only live plants.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
about the Video, it's not a scam as long your tank heavy planted and has very little water movement or pretty much nothing, like I said you can keep same batch of fries together in same tank until you separate them (1 or 2 days separate enough to break their family bond) then they WILL NOT like each other if you put them back together in same tank, they will fight. It's beta world like it or not only 1 survive after fight if you keep the loser one in same tank. We do not put tea leaves in breeding tank only live plants.
But how would the bettas be introduced to the tank? Wouldn't they fight as soon as they went in?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
But how would the bettas be introduced to the tank? Wouldn't they fight as soon as they went in?
Yes, they will fight instantly.
The 2 males in the video I believed they were raise all together before they sexual mature unless they bought a g.ay males beta..... :p hahahaha sorry I can't help it. Also, you can see a bunch of them are in same color patern = pretty much they are same batch of fries that grew up together, kinda suck back at my time there not really thing that we called "camcorder" or I would video how my 200+ betas living together same tank (not really a tank, it's a big jug that connected to rain water collection and act like a 24/7 drip system) males and females :p

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Didn't read the whole thread but my paradise male killed his partner

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Yes, male beta will kill female if you leave female in breeding tank after mated, OR the male will kill female if she not ready to lay eggs yet hint that a reason we keep them in separate cup until female ready.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yes, male beta will kill female if you leave female in breeding tank after mated, OR the male will kill female if she not ready to lay eggs yet hint that a reason we keep them in separate cup until female ready.
Neither happened, female was gravid male didn't build a nest and I found her dead after a few days

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
In the winter, my house can go down to 55F (=13C) , as we turn off the heat at night. That would be enough to be fatal I imagine.
Yeah, I wouldn't risk having mine in 13°c water, I'd maybe go as low as 18-20°c if I absolutely had to for a few weeks, but definitely not long term and definitely not if I could avoid it. :)

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa where did you grow up and is Betta fighting still very popular there? I heard in most places apart from rural Thailand it's uncommon now.

@OP; I kept many Bettas in community tanks as a kid. It's absolutely no problem, however you need to remember that the fancy males are very slow, so don't keep with aggressive fish or fin nippers. They need to feel like they are "king" of the tank.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa where did you grow up and is Betta fighting still very popular there? I heard in most places apart from rural Thailand it's uncommon now.
Well, I was born in Viet Nam.
*I was talking back in my time when kids only do fighting beta after school or play soccer, we don't have TV, video game or comis books like these kids in 21st Century :) yeah! I'm old "kid" now. I didn't visit my Country for almost 40 years so I have no clue kids over there doing with their free time in 21st Century! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store