Betta Keeping Techniques

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thank you for the info, so far i dont have them in a jar but i have them in a tank with dividers.
IMG_6275.JPG IMG_6343.JPG IMG_6356.JPG
Im planning on breeding them in the future,

My question is how big a tank do i need to keep the females, and i live in North California US, temperture can drop to 60 degrees, do i need heater for the tank for my male bettas?

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thank you for the info, so far i dont have them in a jar but i have them in a tank with dividers.
View attachment 1272544 View attachment 1272545 View attachment 1272546
Im planning on breeding them in the future,

My question is how big a tank do i need to keep the females, and i live in North California US, temperture can drop to 60 degrees, do i need heater for the tank for my male bettas?
Females I'd say keep in a 10 gallon tank if you can, shorter fins = more mobile

You definitely need a heater for that

my uncle used to keep hundreds of bettas when i was young, primarily for fighting.... but 1 thing i know is he uses indian almond leaves also known as ketapang leaves in all the betta jars...

these same leaves are used for asian arowanas too

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php
For wild bettas it's a good addition, same for apistos and shrimp. Arowanas? Never heard of that being used for them

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Females I'd say keep in a 10 gallon tank if you can, shorter fins = more mobile

You definitely need a heater for that

For wild bettas it's a good addition, same for apistos and shrimp. Arowanas? Never heard of that being used for them
you can search google on that... the alternative to using leaves will be bottled blackwater sold by fish products company like ocean free

Reactions: Hendre

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have kept bettas in NYC without a heater for years, coldest the room would get is probably 65*, I did not have any problems with this. Never used a filter either, just tons (full carpet) of dwarf sag swords and once a week large water change. That was in a 2.5 gallon

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store