Bichir “Peaceful” Tankmates

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey everyone (I know this is my third thread posted today; I have a lot of questions lol), but can you guys suggest tankmates that would be peaceful with my lapradei bichir. I have a 75 gallon and would like colorful and active fish since my bichir hides 70 percent of the time. I also have live plants so it should be compatible as well! Thanks again! Any suggestion is appreciated!!

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Congo river stuff, Congo tetras, african knife, african leaf fish, maybe small syno or other cat to work the bottom....

I’ve became Conscious of trying to keep fish from the same continent/region together when possible.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Congo river stuff, Congo tetras, african knife, african leaf fish, maybe small syno or other cat to work the bottom....

I’ve became Conscious of trying to keep fish from the same continent/region together when possible.
My bichir is a lower jaw that is 12inches long. Wouldn't some of those species be eaten?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My bichir is a lower jaw that is 12inches long. Wouldn't some of those species be eaten?
It could and would. You’d need to keep larger fish that’s about double the width of the mouth. That means getting adult sized tankamtes with lower jaw polys for safety. So it’d be a large bgk, large bush knife etc. Would pass on the Congo tetras.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Good point, mine are 4” and was thinking of tank mates for mine... Syno prolly a snack... along with the tetras..

African knife I believe are decent size.. 11” or there abouts

The leaf fish 6”-8”

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I am considering severums or datnoids. Do you think they would act aggressive towards the bichir and if they can be kept together? Also can silver datnoids live their entire lives in freshwater, I don’t want to shorten a brackish water fish by keeping them in 100% fresh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store